""Wonderland of Rocks"" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument by mtncorg
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 242 photos
Volcanism and erosion are thought to be behind theformation of towering rock columns and formations in the northwest corner of the Chiricahua Mountains of southeastern Arizona. The local Apaches called this the 'Land of the Standing-Up Rocks'.
The Chiricahua Mountains are a typical 'sky island' - forested mountains containing unique ecosystems surrounded by harsh Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts. Many of the animals, birds and plants are more at home in the Sierra Madre of Mexico, but, of course, Mexico is not far away from here.
These mountains were a homeland and sanctuary for the Chiricahua Apaches, whose most famous leaders, Cochise and Geronimo, sallied forth against the pioneers and soldiers of the late mid-19th century in a vain attempt to stall the hands of time. Just to the northof the Monument, you can find the Fort Bowie National Historic Site, the main US Army post during the Apache Wars.
In the Monument, there is a campground, but no other services - Willcox, 25 miles to the northwest is the nearest town of size - on I-10, though there is a nice B&B in Portal on the eastern side of the mountains, beloved by birdwatchers who love the unique species of birds they can add to their lifetime bird list.
80% of the monument is wilderness, but you can see from the map, that you get a grand overview from the road - Bonita Drive.
- Pros:Geology, Ecology, History and Faraway
- Cons:Hot Summers
- In a nutshell:Prototypical Southwestern Experience
As always, in the desert, water must be carried and conserved. Water is only to be found at the Visitor Center and the... more travel advice
Just north of Chiricahua Nat Mon, is a good dirt road running north off of AZ 186 (the main road into Chiricahua NM off... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Chiricahuas"
- "The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument"
- "Chiricahua National Monument"
- ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- "Islands in the Sky"
- "Chiricahua National Monument - AZ - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiricahua National Monument
- Hotels in Chiricahua National Monument
- Transportation in Chiricahua National Monument
- Restaurants in Chiricahua National Monument
- Shopping in Chiricahua National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiricahua National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiricahua National Monument
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Chiricahua National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiricahua National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Chiricahua National Monument travel pages
- updated a Chiricahua National Monument Travel Page ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- Uploaded a Photo to ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- Wrote a Review AGUA, WATER in Chiricahua National Monument Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Chiricahua National MonumentSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos