"BELGRADE - THE WHITE CITY" Belgrade by mtncorg
Belgrade Travel Guide: 2,416 reviews and 5,067 photos
It really does look like a White city as you fly into Nikola Tesla Airport just northwest of town. New Belgrade looms north of the Sava River - socialist realism in action. The heart of old Belgrade is found to the south of the river, though let us remember that unlike many European capitals, Belgrade is not really that old of a city. Yes, it does have Roman beginnings, but the city barely stretched beyond the mighty fortress of the Kalmegdan - standing guard at the confluence of the Sava and Danube - until the 20th century, especially after WWII. The city has been overrun by invaders some 40+ times, something which in itself inhibits urban growth. With Serbian independence in 1867, Belgrade began a slow constant growth which was interrupted by WWI. After WWI, Belgrade was the capital of a much enlarged country. Growth really took place after WWII and now is finding its way in the post-Tito world of Serbia. Belgrade has remade itself time and again, so the process continues.
Belgrade is probably not going to rate high on someone's 'to see' list among the World capitals. There are much better and there are much worse - simply go to neighboring Montenegro's Podgorica for proof of that. In spite of all that has happened since 1989, I found people in Belgrade to be very nice and that if you take the time to learn about Serbia before visiting, then there is plenty to keep you busy for several days. Maybe even more, if they ever are able to open up the National Museum - among other museums that are closed.
Not far east, off Trg Republike is the small street of Skardaška named in honor of the Albanian city of Shkoder from... more travel advice
Rising above the Kneza on Trg Republika is the National Museum which dates to 1844. It is reported to have one of the... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Belgrade Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belgrade, sweet Belgrade"
- "WHITE TOWN"
- "B E L G R A D E"
- "My home town"
- "Welcome to Beograd-Capital of Serbia &..."
- "48 Hours in the White City"
- "Beograde, Beograde"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belgrade
- Hotels in Belgrade
- Transportation in Belgrade
- Nightlife in Belgrade
- Restaurants in Belgrade
- Shopping in Belgrade
- Warnings and Dangers in Belgrade
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belgrade
- 33 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Belgrade?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belgrade
Photos in BelgradeSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos