"HYDRA - GRECIAN VACATION FROM VACATIONS" Top 5 Page for this destination Hydra Island by mtncorg
Hydra Island Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 597 photos
'St Tropez of Greece'? this island is wildly popular with tourist. Knowing that I am not necessarily a lover of places directly in the midst of the touristic river, why do I like Hydra so? Well, first off, most of the tourists come to Hydra on daytrips out of Athens. They go home in the afternoon and peace returns. The harbor is extraordinarily grand. There are no cars. Spend a few days in Athens and that alone would be worth the price of admission. To avoid the daytrippers, simply wander out of town during the day or catch one of the many boat taxis to assorted and sundry locations around the island.
Hydra didn't really get started until the 15th Century when the first permanent settlers came - refugees from Epirus fleeing the Turks. By the late 1700's, Hydra was a shipbuilding center and home for pirates. Turks were never much good with pirates and they pretty much left the Hydriots alone in return for a ew sailors to serve in their fleets. The island eached its height during the Napoleonic Wars when great fortunes were made by running the blockade of the British. Hydra was one of the rebel centers during the War for Independence in 1821. Their fleet served the Greek cause enthusiastically, terrorizing Turkish fleets.
- Pros:Grandest harbor in Greece, handsome old homes, flowers, glorious landscapes
- Cons:Hectic around the harbor in day, expensive, limited accomodation
- In a nutshell:Why Stay in Athens when Hydra is only an Hour and a Half Away?
You keep seeing the hydrofoils going further south from Hydra until, finally, curiosity gets the better of you and you... more travel advice
From Marina Zea on the east side of Pireaus, the hydrofoils rumble forth out onto the Argo-Saronic Gulf. They take you... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Hydra Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lady Of Argo Saronic Gulf"
- "Hydra-Island in the Saronic Gulf of the Aegian Sea"
- "HYDRA - GRECIAN VACATION FROM VACATIONS"
- "Hydra: a jewel in the saronic golf"
- "HYDRA: SOMETIMES WE NEED TO GET AWAY..."
- "Quiet and beautiful - that's Hydra."
- "Hard Hydra"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hydra Island
- Hotels in Hydra Island
- Transportation in Hydra Island
- Nightlife in Hydra Island
- Restaurants in Hydra Island
- Shopping in Hydra Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hydra Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hydra Island
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Hydra Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hydra Island
Photos in Hydra IslandSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Latest Hydra Island hotel reviews
- Miranda Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- Bratsera Hotel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2013
- Mira Mare Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Ippokampos Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Angelika Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Mistral Hotel Hydra Island
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Orloff
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013