"NAXOS - HOME OF ARIADNE" Top 5 Page for this destination Naxos - Chora (town of) by mtncorg
Naxos - Chora (town of) Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 87 photos
The Cretan princess, Ariadne, helped Athenian Theseus to kill her half-brother, the Minotaur in return for a promise of marriage. On their return to Athens, Theseus dumped Ariadne here on Naxos. Even Athenians saw the event as lacking in honor. Athens loss was Naxos gain and she took up with Dionysos, living the life and making and drinking great wines - which the Naxians have wisely continued to do. Dionysos set Ariadne's crown into the night heavens - the Corona Borealis. Theseus must have been a little flustered by the events, for when he returned to Athens, he forgot to change his black sails to white - a signal to his father that he had succeeded with the Minotaur. His father killed himself in misguided grief.
Largest and most mountainous of the Cyclades, it is also fairly agricultural in nature, though tourism gains each year. Lemons and citrons are a Naxian specialty - kitro is a liquer distilled from the citron. The southwest side of the island is one long beach - party on. Memories from the Ancient, the Byzantine and the Venetian pasts abound. First signs of civilization go back to 3000 BC. Like on Paros, marble has a long history here - the Lions of Delos were quarried from here. There is enough on Naxos to keep you busy for a whole vacation, by itself, exploring the many villages in the interior and on the different coasts.
- Pros:Big island with beaches, fascinating villages and a bustling Port
- Cons:Getting closer to the mainstream of Touristic Flow
- In a nutshell:The entire Cyclades wrapped into one Island
Naxos is a major Cycladic ferry port with many other island connections, as well as direct connections with Pireaus. You... more travel advice
The kouroi lie among olive trees that vie in age with the stonemen. The tree pictured is reportedly over 900 years in... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Naxos - Chora (town of) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NAXOS - HOME OF ARIADNE"
- "The "Duchess" of the Cyclades!"
- "Naxos 2002 and back again in 2005"
- "NAXOS SOUVENIRS."
- "b1bob's Excellent Naxos Adventures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- Hotels in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- Transportation in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- Nightlife in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- Restaurants in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- Shopping in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- Warnings and Dangers in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naxos - Chora (town of)
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Naxos - Chora (town of)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naxos - Chora (town of)
Photos in Naxos - Chora (town of)See All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos