"PAROS - PIRATES, MARBLE AND VENETIANS" Paros by mtncorg
Paros Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 382 photos
One of the larger islands in the Cyclades, Paros is an agricultural island that is most famous in history for the marble mined from its old quarries. Parian marble was used for many of the structures on Delos, Venus de Milo and Napoleon's Tomb. After the Crusader sack of Constantinople, most of the Cyclades were divided into fuedal Venetian fiefdoms which eventually fell under the rule of Marco Sanudo, the Duke of Naxos. Innumerable pirate raids led to the interior town of Lefkes being made as the medieval capital.
Most people come to Paros for the beaches, but the island boasts several charming villages, a famous Byzantine cathedral and a summertime butterfly-filled valley - Petaloudes.
- Pros:Beaches, quaint villages, history at your fingertips
- Cons:Not too far off the beaten path in the Cyclades
- In a nutshell:Where Napoleon and Venus de Milo come together
Paros is a main destination for Cycladic ferries. There is a direct connection to Pireaus. Paroika is the main harbor.... more travel advice
We took the bus from Paroika to Lefkes, in order to first see Lefkes and then to walk an old Byzantine road down to... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Paros Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paros...our favourite Greek Island"
- "MY PAROS"
- "Paros, Greece"
- "Paros: the first stop in our sep 03 Cyclades tour"
- "Paros - the Marble Island"
- "Lefkes village: cyclades architecture!"
- "PAROS - PIRATES, MARBLE AND VENETIANS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paros
- Hotels in Paros
- Transportation in Paros
- Nightlife in Paros
- Restaurants in Paros
- Shopping in Paros
- Warnings and Dangers in Paros
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paros
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Paros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paros
Photos in ParosSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue