"ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta by mtncorg
Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,930 reviews and 10,427 photos
Canadian provinces are the size of countries anywhere else. The province stretches from the US border in the south to far into the sub arctic regions of the Canadian Shield to the north. Much of the south is devoted to vast wheat fields, looking similar to what you find across the border in Montana, only with a few more people. Plopped down out in the plains are two of Canada’s more pleasant cities - Edmonton and Calgary. Of the two, I have to admit a more fondness for the southern metropolitan area, if not for the simple fact that they are closer to Alberta’s gems - the Rockies. The Canadian Rockies are normally experienced by the tourist in Alberta for good reason. Here the mountains are simply glorious squared. The tourist can experience mile after mile of jaw opening alpine views when driving from Banff in the South towards Jasper along the Icefields Parkway. As glorious as the mountains look from the highway, the experience is multiplied exponentially as you walk away from the road. The season is fairly short. Weather can always be a factor in the Rockies. Preparation is essential for your visit. I especially like the ‘boot-tested’ trail guide written by Kathy and Craig Copeland, “Don’t Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies, An Opinionated Hiking Guide”. There are so many trails to tread - and unless you are like MadamX living in nearby Calgary - your time here will not be unlimited. I have hiked more of the trails they have recommended in their similar book on the North Cascades of Washington State and have found their opinions to be right on for the most part. If they give a trail four boots (‘premier’), rest assured, it will be a grand experience. If they say don’t waste your time - ie The Teahouse Trail at Lake Louise - don’t waste your time! There is too much else out there. That said, even some of the hikes that rate two boots (‘worthwhile’) are superior to what you find in most of the rest of the World.
Gems to be looked towards? Valley of Ten Peaks, Plain of the Six Glaciers, Mt Assiniboine, Tonquin Valley and the Ramparts, Lake Annette/Paradise Valley and remember the outstanding options across the border in British Columbia: the Rockwall-Floe Lake, Lake O’Hara, and maybe one of the grandest in the entire region - Berg Lake and Mt Robson. But here we are talking BC, the trek to Assiniboine in Alberta will be almost as marvelous.
Alberta is a bit hockey-mad. They support their teams in a fervent fashion, whether it is the Flames of Calgary, Edmonton’s Oilers or the myriad of WHL junior teams. The Great One played his best years in Edmonton when they owned the NHL for much of the 80’s. There is plenty to keep one busy in Alberta’s cities, though for that I refer you to Calgary’s own MadamX.
- Pros:Unbelievably glorious mountain ranges, grand plains with a couple of comfortable-sized cities thrown in
- Cons:Crowds at the National Park hubs can take away a little of the Magic; What to do in Calgary/Edmonton without the NHL?
- In a nutshell:Jann Arden would die for you here.
It's a great hotel, but when I am out in the mountains, I am not so lucky as to stay at a huge hotel like this. I am... more travel advice
The teahouse is the magnet for sweating masses out of the Chateau Lake Louise. The lake is named for the First Lady of... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Province of Alberta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alberta - between plains and mountains"
- "The Wonder of Alberta"
- "This Province Has it All"
- "ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE"
- "AWESOME ALBERTA"
- "Alberta: God's Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Alberta
- Hotels in Province of Alberta
- Transportation in Province of Alberta
- Nightlife in Province of Alberta
- Restaurants in Province of Alberta
- Shopping in Province of Alberta
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Alberta
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta
- 29 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Province of Alberta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Alberta
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Wrote a Review ROCKY MOUNTAIN GLORY in Province of Alberta Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "ROCKY MOUNTAIN GLORY"
- created a Province of Alberta Travel Page "ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE"
- Commented on one of windsorgirl's Province of Alberta travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Top Province of Alberta hotels
- Edmonton Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1011 Photos
- Banff Hotels
- 467 Reviews - 989 Photos
- Canmore Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Calgary Hotels
- 1066 Reviews - 1918 Photos
- Okotoks Hotels
- 1 Review - 9 Photos
- Red Deer Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Jasper Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Banff National Park Hotels
- 791 Reviews - 1541 Photos
- Fort McMurray Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 139 Photos
- Lake Louise Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Waterton Lakes National Park Hotels
- 195 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Stettler Hotels
- 1 Review - 10 Photos
- Medicine Hat Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Provost Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Lethbridge Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 18 Photos