"UNIQUE CULTURE AMONGST SOUTHWEST GRANDUER" Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico by mtncorg
New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,211 reviews and 10,335 photos
Some describe New Mexico as empty and boring. Drive for many miles in this state and you might agree. But just when you thought there was nothing out among the Llano Estacado areas of eastern New Mexico, the dry deserts of the north and west or the utterly dull drive on I-10 across the south, you come across gems like the White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, the Hispanic communities along the Hig Road between Santa Fe and Taos, the ancient Indian pueblos of Taos and Acoma, or the unique jewell of Las Vegas - without the gambling.
What sets New Mexico apart from much of hte West is its cultural history. The State is a true multiethnic land with prehistoric ruins, 17th century Spanish settlements, 19th century mining towns, 20th century US governmental science towns. The history is defined by the three major groups who live here: the local Indians - Pueblos (Anasazi descendents), Navajos, Apaches; Hispanics - dating back to 1598 when Onate first came into the area with settlers; Andlos - cowboys, miners, railroaders, and more recently, nuclear scientists. To know New Mexico, you must first discover something about the historical context first.
A land of such diversity has spawned a wide array of artistic endeavors - both primitive native and folk and contemporary art forms spanning a wide gamut of media. Literature provides an interesting avenue in whihc to discover New Mexico from afar. Stories and myths have been a part of the landscape for centuries but modern writers you might look for include John Nichols (The Milagro Beanfield), N. Scott Momaday (House Made of Dawn), Leslie Marmon Silk (Ceremony) or the inimitable detective novels of Tony Hillerman - mysteries set among the Indian reservations and pueblos of New Mexico and Arizona.
New Mexico is a complex state you have to take time to fully discover. Some is easy to see though much remains hidden from the surface. .... certainly hidden from the casual motorist plodding along I-10, I-25 or I-40 at 80 mph.
Note: Must See sites are arranged in a loose historical manner - ancient to more recent.
- Pros:Cultural Diversity, Natural Beauty
- Cons:Long stretches of very empty, dry roads
- In a nutshell:Cultural Uniqueness in the American West
Built in 1872 and restored a hundred years later, the Plaza is one of the classic hotels of the Old American West.... more travel advice
15 miles north of Las Cruces, the ruins of Fort Selden can be found. From 1865 to 1891, the fort guarded Las Cruces and... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
New Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Enchantment"
- "New Mexico, Earth, But Out of this World"
- "One of our 50 is missing!"
- "UNIQUE CULTURE AMONGST SOUTHWEST GRANDUER"
- "Land of Varied Scenery"
- "New Mexican Legends ...."
- "Our Land of Enchantment"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Mexico
- Hotels in New Mexico
- Transportation in New Mexico
- Nightlife in New Mexico
- Restaurants in New Mexico
- Shopping in New Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in New Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Mexico
- 21 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to New Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Mexico
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Wrote a Review THE OLD AMERICAN WEST REVISITED in New Mexico Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE OLD AMERICAN WEST REVISITED"
- created a New Mexico Travel Page "UNIQUE CULTURE AMONGST SOUTHWEST GRANDUER"
- Commented on one of jayhawk2000's New Mexico travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos