"COLORADO - CHAMPAGNE POWDERLANDS?" Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado by mtncorg
Colorado Travel Guide: 5,597 reviews and 11,830 photos
A State shaped like Wyoming, Colorado shares magnificence in geography with its neighbor. Unlike Wyoming, many more people call Colorado 'home' - Denver is one of the fastest growing metroplexes in the US as it morphs out among the plains of the Front Range in all directions. Slightly under 1/2 of the State belongs to the farmlands of the Great Plains - maybe not an area likely to attract the casual tourist. The larger part of the State lies in the geographically complex zone of the Rocky Mountains - not a monolithic range of mountains like the Alps, Himalayas, Appalachians, Andes or Cascades as suggested by the name, but a complicated series of mountain chains interspersed by arid basins. This area is not one where you will find a lot of people - that is reserved for the cities lying along the Front Range (this IS a dramatic range of mountains that abruptly end at the edge of the Great Plains): Fort Collins-Boulder-Denver-Colorado Springs- and with a little extrapolation, Puebla. It is in the Rocky Mountains that you can find Colorado's soul, however, written in the mountains and the history - both ancient, in the case of southwestern Colorado, and more recent, in the many areas of mineral exploitation, rail expansion and outdoor travel industry.
The Front Range cities are enjoyable stops with many diversions - fine brewpubs exist both in Denver and Fort Collins. Many VT pages are so devoted. My trips to Colorado have usually involved alpine ski trips. I learned to ski as a young adult in Europe and thought there could be no better skiing. Then I discovered the Rocky Mountain resorts - Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico - but Colorado is probably the area that comes to mind for most ski enthusiasts around the US and the World. Resorts of World-class standing can be found in various regions of the Rocky Mountain areas of Colorado: Telluride, Aspen-Snowmass, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs - but in Summit County, about 2 hours east of Denver along I-70, and adjoining areas of Eagle and Grand Counties, the ski industry probably reaches its apex: Beaver Creek, Vail, Copper Mountain, Breckinridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, Winter Park/Mary Jane. There is a constant battle between the Coloradan and Utahn tourist bureaus as to where the best snow and resorts are to be found. There is something to be said for both causes. Truth be told, it probably depends upon the particular snowfall in any one season. I tend to favor Colorado, but that is because I have been there more often and have friends with which to stay and from whom I can depend upon to get ski lift ticket reductions which local residents enjoy. A $92 per day Copper Mountain lift ticket is enjoyed much better at the $33 per day price afforded by a Powpow Platter card purchased online from one of the Intrawest resort websites: Copper Mountain, Winter Park, Steamboat Springs. If you can arrange to find out options beforehand, you can save a lot of money with your skiing - not unlike when flying. A little education can go a long way!!
- Pros:Superb skiing, grand scenery, histroical West, stadia-crazed Denver
- Cons:Weekend ski crowds and on I-70 from Denver can be a real drag; snows not always consistent
- In a nutshell:Alpine Circus provided in Historical Setting
If you drive on Colorado 91 between Copper Mountain and Leadville, you will find the colossal molybdenum mine of Climax... more travel advice
Located at the west end of the Ski Cooper parking lot is the Tennessee Pass Nordic Center and Cookhouse. Here you can... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Colorado Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "COLORADO - CHAMPAGNE POWDERLANDS?"
- "Welcome to America's Playground!"
- "A Gallop Through Colorado"
- "The highest state in the nation"
- "Basaic Colorado Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colorado
- Hotels in Colorado
- Transportation in Colorado
- Nightlife in Colorado
- Restaurants in Colorado
- Shopping in Colorado
- Warnings and Dangers in Colorado
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colorado
- 27 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Colorado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colorado
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos