"GOLDEN STATE" California by mtncorg
California Travel Guide: 45,970 reviews and 109,514 photos
What can you say about the Golden State that has not been said before? It is the Big Brother on the Left Coast of the US. Urban sprawl might not have started here but its definition is here in force. LA, San Diego, Anaheim, Bay Area, Fresno, Sacramento, the list of sprawiling cities goes on. New populations of a great mixtures of peoples. Amongst all of these peoples and all of this sprawl lie natural wonders to be discovered that still leave you speechless. Even in Southern California - with a little knowledge and planning, you can spend a night along a babbling brook deep within a pine forest.
For me, an alpine enthusiast, the Sierra Nevada, the Range of Light, is one of the main highlights of this huge State. These moutains invite a literal lifetime of exploration - just ask retiredranger. US 395 is one of my favorite major highways in the world. The views of the eastern Sierra wall never tire me. But California has other mountains as well, from the southernmost volcanoes of the Cascade Range - Mt Shasta and Mt Lassen, mountains more in common with the mountains of Oregin and Washington - to the high peaks of Southern California, literally rising directly out of the urban sprawls below; the long coastal mountains rolling rugged parallel to the coast, cloaked in the north with tall coastal redwood forests; the rugged Marble and Trinity ranges; and the Great Basin ranges of the Warners and the massive White Mountains - both home to some of the most surprising ground in Calfiornia. Beyond the mountains, there are wild coastlines, grand lakes, unique deserts, riverine and coastal estauries all waiting for you to explore.
So when you are finished with the Mice of Disneyland, grab a good bottle of great California wine and discover the other California.
From the lowest landscape in the lower 48 States of the US ....
..... to the highest. California is a land of extremes - you could say that the humanistic extremes are mirrored in the landscape itself.
The Sierra Nevada - also known by their nickname as the Range of Light - is one of the World's greatest mountain ranges. It is the highest range in the US outside of Alaska and offers wilderness experiences you could spend a lifetime with. The mountains are high enough that altitude sickness can come into play. Weather can change an exciting trip into something quite different - be prepared for where you are going. For more ideas on these grand mountains see any of the towns in my California section - Bishop, Bridgeport, Big Pine, etc..
- Pros:Mountain peaks, lakes, meadows, meadows, canyons, deserts, forests, sea shores
- Cons:San Fernando Valley, Friday night in Fresno, 5PM on any freeway interchange in either LA or the Bay Area
- In a nutshell:More than what you see in the Movies
There are a lot of dramatic roads that can be driven throughout the Golden State and this is one of the best. Coming... more travel advice
Originally Manzanar (=apple orchard in Spanish) was a farming community. LA bought up the water rights and the community... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
California Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
- "California - What More Do I Need To Say?"
- "Always on My Mind....California"
- "Our awesome trip to California summer of 2004"
- "The Regions of California"
- "GOLDEN STATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in California
- Hotels in California
- Transportation in California
- Nightlife in California
- Restaurants in California
- Shopping in California
- Warnings and Dangers in California
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in California
- 143 Reviews
- 225 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to California?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in California
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Commented on one of bruingirl's California travel pages
- Wrote a Review WHITE MOUNTAIN ROAD about Mountains / Lakes in California Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "WHITE MOUNTAIN ROAD"
- updated a California Travel Page "GOLDEN STATE"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Top California hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4385 Reviews - 8826 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9107 Reviews - 19366 Photos
- San Diego Hotels
- 3189 Reviews - 7242 Photos
- Anaheim Hotels
- 711 Reviews - 1958 Photos
- Palm Springs Hotels
- 349 Reviews - 766 Photos
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- 646 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Monterey Hotels
- 917 Reviews - 2734 Photos
- Santa Monica Hotels
- 457 Reviews - 1054 Photos
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Hollywood Hotels
- 448 Reviews - 1294 Photos
- Manhattan Beach Hotels
- 350 Reviews - 759 Photos
- Mammoth Lakes Hotels
- 252 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Solvang Hotels
- 268 Reviews - 678 Photos
- Cambria Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- 1499 Reviews - 3437 Photos