"MULL - HOME OF THE CLAN" Top 5 Page for this destination Island of Mull by mtncorg
Island of Mull Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 346 photos
Just south of the little jumble of buildings that makes up Craignure - the southern ferry port for Mull, gateway to Oban - is the symbol for the worldwide diaspora of the Clan Maclean, Duart Castle. Jews say to each other, “We’ll meet next year in Jerusalem!” so the meeting place for Macleans must be Mull. And so it is. Every eight years, the clan gathers here from around the globe, in June. I am three months late. That is ok. Being among a thousand other Macleans might be a little much?
Mull is, of course, more than just an opportunity for a member of the diaspora to return home. It is a large island of mountains and lonely glens. The sheep and cows outnumber the people by a good number and that is even after taking into account the large influx of summer tourists that flock here to see what Mull has to offer. Tobermory and Iona are the top reasons tourists come. Tobermory because it is ‘cute’ and has been featured in a popular BBC television program. Iona because of its central role in the story of Christianity throughout Scotland and northern England. The single lane roads that lead in each direction from the Oban ferry terminal at Craignure rumble with the sounds of tourist buses.
I went in the Iona direction in one outing, taking a local bus which let me see Iona before the main glut of tourist buses reached the little ferry port of Fionnphort where you embark on the ferry to cross from Mull to Iona. In the moments before the frenzy, Iona is natural, historic and spiritual. But the same can be said for much of southern Mull where I roamed. The lonely stretches of road that lead from Craignure to Fionnphort make for some great driving. Even better is to get off that main ‘busy’ road and pay a visit to places the tourist buses don’t venture. The road to Lochbuie, for example, is to experience - especially when on a bicycle - something more elemental.
Mull is an island. You will need to get over here on a boat and most use the Oban to Craignure connection provided by... more travel advice
You’ll learn to quickly identify the little black and white pillars along the road that denote turnouts where people can... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Island of Mull Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Moments on Mull"
- "MULL - HOME OF THE CLAN"
- "Mull, Iona, Staffa, Treshnish"
- "Amazing Mull"
- "The Island of Mull"
- "Tobermory Isle of Mull"
- "Back home for a few days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Island of Mull
- Hotels in Island of Mull
- Transportation in Island of Mull
- Nightlife in Island of Mull
- Restaurants in Island of Mull
- Shopping in Island of Mull
- Warnings and Dangers in Island of Mull
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Island of Mull
- 18 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Island of Mull?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Island of Mull
Photos in Island of MullSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Latest Island of Mull hotel reviews
- Seaview Bed & Breakfast
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013