"GIANT HOME FOR GIANT ADVENTURE" Top 5 Page for this destination Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark by mtncorg
Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 68 photos
The Jotunheimen is the literal high point of Norway. Within the Park there are more than 250 peaks rising above 1900 meters with over 60 glaciers. If that is not enough ice, just to the west of the Park is the Jostedalsbreen in the Breheimen - Home of the Glaciers - Europe's largest ice cap, covering 475 sq km, 1000 feet thick with 24 tongues coming down into surrounding valleys. Within the Jotunheimen Park, several ranges soar, separated by deep glacial valleys, wide glaciers and long fjord-like lakes. The local geography is fairly complicated but witihin the various peaks, valleys and glaciers you will find some of the most glorious alpine country - barely removed from the Ice Ages - that Europe has to offer. Highest peaks include Galdhopiggen - 2469 m and Glittertind - 2452 m (2470 m if you count the ice cap atop!). The rocky peaks of the Hurrangane attract rock climbers to the SW part of the Park. Tourists have been going intothe mountains since the last half of the century. Grab an old copy of 'Three Into the Mountains' for an amusing account of three intrepid late 19th century English visitors. The DNT - Norske Turistforegning - or Norwegian Hiking Association, has been building huts in the mountains, also, since the late 19th century and the club is responsible for many of the trails and huts in the mountains today. The Jotunheimen is one of the best organized regions for alpine touring with huts and lodges throughout connected by marked trails.
Access from Oslo is train to Otta - north from Lillehamar - and then bus to either the lodges on the Sognefjell road via the Boverdalen or via Randsverk to Gjendesheim. From Bergen, you catch a boat to Leikanger and bus to the Sognefjell lodges via Sogndal or you can catch another boat to Ardalstangen and bus to OVre Ardal to access the Park from trails coming in from the SW (Vetti-Skogadalsboen). The Park is not a car Park. For the non-hiker, your best views are from the Sognefjell highway where you can gaze out over the Smorstabbreen or from Gjendesheim where summer boats can take you up the long fjord lake of Gjende to Memurubu or Gjendbu. High mountains tower over head.
- Pros:Glaciers, Mountains, Laeks - Natural Drama worthy of Grieg and Ibsen
- Cons:Huts can crowd up in the short summer; Skies can refuse to clear
- In a nutshell:Europe's Premier Northern Alpine Park
Staffed huts - both privat and associated with the DNT - allow wilderness esploration throughoutthe Park. DNT huts fully... more travel advice
Gjende is the best known lake in the Jotunheimen with boat service on its waters - though not the only one. The lake... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GIANT HOME FOR GIANT ADVENTURE"
- "Home of the Giants"
- "La Maison des Géants - House of the Giants"
- "Jotunheimen National Park"
- "Jotunheimen for hikers"
- "VIEW FROM GALDHöPIGGEN 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Hotels in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Transportation in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Nightlife in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Warnings and Dangers in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Apostrophes in photo captions"
- Commented on one of evaanna's Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark travel pages
- updated a Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Travel Page "GIANT HOME FOR GIANT ADVENTURE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "GIANT HOME FOR GIANT ADVENTURE"
- Wrote a Review TOURIST HUTS in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Hotels
Photos in Jotunheimen NasjonalparkSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues