"LUXEMBOURG, Le Couer Vert de l'Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg by mtncorg
Luxembourg Travel Guide: 1,525 reviews and 4,205 photos
The tourist bureau here used to use the slogan: Luxembourg, the Green Center of Europe. Since 1989, Luxembourg is probably not in the 'center' anymore, but the landscape does remain green. Most people don't come to Europe for Luxembourg, but there is plenty to occupy a person's interest here in the Grand Duchy. The country is a mixing pot of French and German culture, tradition and language - similar to what you can find along other borderlands of these two neighbors. The country can be roughly divided into two geographical regions with the northern third lying within the Ardennes Mountains. The southerly two thirds is flatter, though not without hills. Outside of the capital city, the country maintains a rural landscape similar to bordering countries.
The history is old - the original House of Luxembourg being founded in 963, though the present family, from the House of Orange-Nassau, has ruled only since 1890. During the 14th century, Luxembourg was almost four times its present size. Two members of the ruling house were emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. But being a player in the grand scheme of things can also have its price. Hard times brought about a French invasion and annexation of Luxembourg to the House of Burgundy. This led to 400 years of foreign rule with Luxembourg changing hands between the French, then the Spanish Habsburgs, and then the Austrian Habsburgs - 1443-1794. The French Revolution brought the French back for one more time, only to leave in 1814 with the fall of Napoleon. A complicated system following the Treaty of Vienna had Prussian troops occupying the Fortress of Luxembourg - lands to the east of the Moselle also were annexed to the Hohenzollern crown. The country, itself, was made an independent state in the personal possession of the King of Netherlands. This awkward arrangement lasted until the Belgians kicked the Dutch out of Belgium - also depriving the Duchy of French-speaking lands in the west, which became the Belgian province of Luxembourg. After machinations on the part of Napoleon III and Bismarck, the fortress of Luxembourg was razed in 1867 and the Prussians went home, much to the dismay of the Prussian Field Marshall von Moltke who had to wait until 1870 for his war with the French - a war that Bismarck said, "... once started, this war will never cease." The Treaty of London guaranteed the neutrality of Luxembourg
That neutrality was disregarded twice by the Germans in subsequent years. Following WWII, Luxembourg went away from neutrality, joining NATO and was a founding member of the European Coal and Steel Community, a body that evolved into the European Economic Community.
Most people only know Luxembourg from its capital city or its airport, butthe country is a great place to bike or walk in. There are many gems hidden away in its forests and fields. The country is in ideal region to combine a visit here with neighboring areas of Belgium, France and Germany.
- Pros:Small, grand rural landscapes, fascinating cultural milleau
- Cons:Need a car to get around easily
- In a nutshell:Fascinating Land with a Large History
The largest and best restored castle in Luxembourg is here in Vianden. The castle dates back to the 10th century. The... more travel advice
One of the most picturesque villages in Luxembourg. First appearing in history books in 774, by 927 the castle and town... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Luxembourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "L U X E M B O U R G"
- "The Little Kingdom!"
- "The Grand Duchy"
- "LUSCIOUS LUXEMBOURG"
- "LUXEMBOURG, Le Couer Vert de l'Europe"
- "Merry Christmass"
- "The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luxembourg
- Hotels in Luxembourg
- Transportation in Luxembourg
- Nightlife in Luxembourg
- Restaurants in Luxembourg
- Shopping in Luxembourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Luxembourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luxembourg
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Luxembourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luxembourg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos