"GIANTS CASTLE - EDINBURGH SOUTH?" Giant's Castle Game Reserve by mtncorg
Giant's Castle Game Reserve Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 11 photos
Giant's Castle is probably the apex for travelers in the central Drakensberg region. Easily reached from Estcourt or Mooi River off the N 3 motorway - simply follow the signs for 'Giant's Castle'. The road from Estcourt winds through the hills and extended Zulu towns scattered about as you circle White Mountain. The road from Mooi River transverses a long ridge separating the Bushmens River valley to the north, from the Little Mooi valley to the south. Along the way, you pass plantations of fir and eucalyptus - all raised for pulp wood - and you pass also the turn off for one of Africa's nicest guesthouses, the Antbear. On the negative, you also pass through potholes that are caused by the overladen log trucks. These potholes extend all the way across the road in many instances and will have your speed down into the creeping range. Both routes come together along the Bushmen's River and you get several more miles of ghastly potholes until you finally reach the entrance to the Park - entrance to the Park is R20 and the potholes diminish.
Once in the Park, you continue to the end of the road where most hikes emanate out from the Day Visitors parking area. Another 100 meters takes you to a collection of well-sited self-catering cabins along with a restaurant for those not cooking. More trails take off from here including the well-used on that goes to Main Cave where San rock art can be viewed. Sitting out on the deck of the restaurant after our hike to World's View, we were fortunate enough to spot a large solitary male eland grazing on steep slopes on the other side of the valley.
Rising high above everything are the imposing rock walls of Giant's Castle - originally named after the Edinburgh Castle by some Scottish expatriate who must have been out in the bush for a bit too long - peaking out at 3314 meters. There are a plethora of hiking options here: Meander Hut is about 4 hours; Giant's Hut is about 9 hour return; Main Cave is 30 minutes out and World's View is about a 4 four return trip.
Click on picture for full panorama.
I must admit that this is the first time I have seen this warning. Obviously, others have learned the hard way gaining... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Giant's Castle Game Reserve Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Giant's Castle Game Reserve
- Hotels in Giant's Castle Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Giant's Castle Game Reserve
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Giant's Castle Game Reserve
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Giant's Castle Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Giant's Castle Game Reserve
Photos in Giant's Castle Game ReserveSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos