"SAGALASSOS – ANCIENT RUINS HIGH IN THE TAURUS MTNS" Aglasun by mtncorg
Aglasun Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos
High in the mountains just 7 km up from the town of Ağlasun – 30 km from Burdur or Isparta – are the magnificent ruins of Sagalassos. The site is at around 1500 meters in elevation. Dating back to Hittite record referring to a possible town here in the 14th C BC, most of the ruins restored today date to the 2nd C AD. Excavations began in 1990 under the supervision of Marc Waelkens of the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium. Sagalassos already had a few thousand living here when Alexander the Great paused to conquer the town in 333 BC on his way east. Following Alexander, the town drifted through Selucid rule to Peragon Attalid control. Attalus III bequeathed his kingdom to Rome in 133 BC and Sagalassos became part of Rome. Along with Pisidian Antioch, Sagalassos was the most important town of Pisidia. It was named a ‘first city’ of the province by the Emperor Hadrian. Earthquakes and Arab raids led to the town’s abandonment in the middle of the 7th C AD and the site was slowly covered by erosion. You can get an idea of how much of the city was covered by the whiteness of the marble – marble exposed to open air discolors with time. Statues that have been recovered can be found displayed at the nearby museum in Burdur with plaster replicas taking their place on site.
The act of restoring or rebuilding a ruined building or monument using original elements to the greatest degree is... more travel advice
Dating back to 160-180 AD, this fountain has been magnificently restored and water flow has been reintroduced once... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Aglasun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "sagalassos,eyrie at an altitude of 1500m"
- "SAGALASSOS – ANCIENT RUINS HIGH IN THE TAURUS MTNS"
- "THE City in the clouds...SAGALASSOS"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Aglasun
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Aglasun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aglasun
Photos in AglasunSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos