"MILETUS – BEFORE EPHESUS, THERE WAS MILETUS" Balat by mtncorg
Balat Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 25 photos
Before its destruction - Miletus was on the wrong side of a revolt - by the Persians in 494 BC, Miletus with its two harbors was one of the most important cities found along the west coast of Asia Minor. The city would recover from this calamity, as well as being besieged by Alexander the Great – 334 BC – and it was only the silting of its harbors by the Meander River that would finally destroy the city. Founded by Minoans from Crete in about 1400 BC, the city saw others come and go through the years. By the 6th Century CE, with its harbors gone and malaria festering in the neighboring marshes, the town faded into a small village that was finally abandoned by the 17th Century.
Besides being a famous city in its own right, Miletus is famous for its pre-Socratic school of philosophy: Thales, Anaximander and Anaximenes. The city was also the home of the architect Isidore who was responsible for building the Haghia Sophia in Constantinople as well as the Basilica of St John in nearby Ephesus.
By the time Turks reached Miletus, the city’s glory days were long gone. Still, the town was not completely dead as is... more travel advice
The theater faces one of Miletus’ two harbors, the Theater Harbor, where the ticket office stands today. This is where... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Balat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Miletus, Miletos, Milet - Cradle of Philosophy"
- "MILETUS – BEFORE EPHESUS, THERE WAS MILETUS"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Balat
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Balat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balat
Photos in BalatSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues