"ISTANBUL – ASIA OR EUROPE?" Istanbul by mtncorg
Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,884 reviews and 20,397 photos
OK. Just what VT needs, another page on Istanbul. There already exist fine offerings which can give you all you need for a successful visit. For me, VT is not just a place to find tourist information, however, but a place to stash my photos, my historical discoveries, my musings, so …. another Istanbul offering.
Istanbul is probably the largest city in Europe – as long as you count the Asian side of the city, as well. “Probably” because no one knows how many people the metropolitan area actually holds. The town is a magnet for people from all over Turkey. Suburbs sprawl far and wide on both sides of the Bosphorus. For almost 2,800 years people have lived here, first as the longstanding Greek city-state of Byzantium; second a thousand year run as Constantinople, capital of the Eastern Roman Empire; third, a 470 year run as capital of the Ottoman Empire – a realm that was vaster and more powerful yet; and lastly, for the past 80 years, Istanbul has been replaced as the capital of Turkey by Ankara, but the city remains the heart of urbanity for the modern Turk.
On my first visit to Turkey, a couple of years ago, I had only about ten days to visit and since I was visiting friends in Ankara and then going to the coast I purposely left Istanbul off the itinerary thinking Istanbul needs a week of its own just to begin to get an idea of what the town is. That time frame still feels about right except if you have devoted friends who dedicate themselves to showing off their city to you. With my good friend leading the way, we covered more ground in the 2 ½ days than others would see in 1-2 weeks. Constantly on the move, we saw and experienced a wide array of Istanbul. Of course we could only give a short amount of time, but I have a better idea of where I want to go back to or what other sights and experiences I want to enlarge upon in the future, for Istanbul is one city that will draw you back.
So, see some of the sights virtually here. Many will be repeats of the other many Istanbul VT pages because there are some places that everyone goes to and for good reason. There may be a couple places within that have not had as much press, however.
- Pros:History, culture, food
- Cons:The Turkish Language is not always an easy one to master
- In a nutshell:Wow. This is one of Europe's most impressive cities ... or Asia?
Erol Taº was a Turkish movie legend. He appeared in over 200 films usually in the role of a villan. Even a villan needs... more travel advice
There are lots of opinions regarding where the best views are to be found in Istanbul. There are lots of rooftops of... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 39 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- updated a Istanbul Travelogue "IMPERIAL MOSQUES OF ISTANBUL"
- Uploaded a Video to Istanbul
- Uploaded a Photo to "IMPERIAL MOSQUES OF ISTANBUL"
- Wrote a Review CAFE FOR VILLANS in Istanbul Nightlife
- Commented on one of Paul2001's Istanbul travel pages
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos