"MONTEVIDEO – ‘I SEE A MOUNTAIN?’" Top 5 Page for this destination Montevideo by mtncorg

Montevideo Travel Guide: 544 reviews and 1,151 photos

Created as a Spanish riposte to the Portugese port of Colonia in 1726. Montevideo features a natural port – a feature BsAs lacks. Likes its transfluvial partner across the Rio de la Plata, Montevideo does sprawl into the hinterlands, though also like in BsAs, the tourist will stick to sites close to the older heart of the City.

The history of Montevideo was one of conflict for much of the period from ints inception through the mid 19th century before Brazil and Argentina finally decided to let Uruguay stand as a buffer between them. There are a lot of similarities shared between BsAs and Montevideo – architecture, history, Buquebus – but Montevideo has a more sense of calmness about it, especially on a Sunday ;-\ , plus a series of beaches that serve as the city’s playground.

My visit to Montevideo was made very easy and memorable thanks to tour guide ministrations of VT extraordinaire, Andal13. Thanks again, Andrea for showing me your great City!!

• Pros:a great mix of history, culture and life!
  • Cons:a day is not enough;-[
  • In a nutshell:The Hometown for andal13!!
  • Intro Written Dec 19, 2004

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM

Thanks for the VT postcard. Going to Uruguay in March.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 6:51 PM

i'm going to brazil in 2 weeks time, so it's nice to get a little taste of south america on your page. by the way, do you know why andal13 is not online anymore?

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2005 at 10:05 PM

Interesting stuff and a happy new year!

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 3:23 AM

crazy!!! such a city im mad for get there!!!! thanks!!

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 5:10 PM

lovely city, so enjoyed your 'walking tour'! Will have to see it for myself now...Wendy

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 3:14 PM

I could probably picture you on a fold out chair on La Rambla, Mark, but something tells me Little Girl would be itching to head on down to Patagonia. Interesting place - where a buquebus is really a boat and a train station has no trains...

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 11:17 AM

Palacio Salvo my favourite buiding???? I'll kill you, Mark!!! (LOL) Thank you so much for your kind comments on my city and its wonderful hostess (Oops! That's me!)

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 5:09 PM

Montevideo looks quite enchanting. I was particularly impressed by your pictures of the architecture.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 8:37 AM

Looks like a very nice city! This dog in the shape makes me think of summer which is still several months away for us in the north, booohhh... Excellent tips as usual.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 11:38 PM

sniff....I envy you, whatta Hostess and I envy the Dog...we will never get such days, not this summer...sniff. superb shot! and tks for a wonderful page with lotta good tips.

mtncorg

“live to learn; learn to live”

Badges & Stats in Montevideo

Have you been to Montevideo?

Latest Activity in Montevideo