"SANTA MARTA - LAST REPOSE FOR LATIN AMERICAN GIANT" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Marta by mtncorg
Santa Marta Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 381 photos
Founded in 1525 by Rodrigo de Bastidas - known as Spain?s ?Noblest Conquistador? for his refusal to maltreat native Americans even in his quest for gold - Santa Marta is the oldest surviving town founded by Europeans in the Americas. The town?s importance declined with the development of Cartegena des Indias after 1533. The city serves as a major coal port and as a tourist destination today. It is also the city where Colombia?s greatest football player Carlos Valderraman, best remembered for his blonde permed locks - he is now an asssistant coach with Atelico Junior in Barranquilla. The most historic site can be found a couple miles southeast of town at the site of a former sugar mill known as Quinta de San Pedro Alejandrino - built in the 17th century - where on Dec 17, 1830, Simon Bolivar , El Libertador, died.
I was here for but a few hours, so can only provide a brief overview of what could be a much more fascinating location.
The port of Santa Marta is a major coal port on the Caribbean coast. There is another coal port several miles to the... more travel advice
You find a statue inside the front door dedicated to Rodrigo de Bastidas, the ?Noblest Conquistador? of Spain who didn?t... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Santa Marta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "As Santa Marta Grows into its own Shoes"
- "Santa Marta"
- "Simon Bolivar's First Grave"
- "SANTA MARTA - LAST REPOSE FOR LATIN AMERICAN GIANT"
- "Santa Marta - lo tiene todo!"
- "Santa Marta"
- "SANTA MARTA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Marta
- Hotels in Santa Marta
- Transportation in Santa Marta
- Nightlife in Santa Marta
- Restaurants in Santa Marta
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Marta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Marta
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (180)
Have you been to Santa Marta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Marta
Photos in Santa MartaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 196 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues