"WISSEMBOURG - WELCOME TO THE ALSACE" Top 5 Page for this destination Wissembourg by mtncorg
Wissembourg Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 361 photos
Located on the Franco-German border, Wissembourg provides German tourists with a 'lite' version of France. The town is almost like just another wine town along the Southern German Wine Road ... almost.
The town dates back to the 7th century when it grew up alongside a Benedictine abbey. Walls were erected surrounding the town in the 13th century, the same timeframe from which the abbey church of St Pierre-et-Paul dates to. Only the cathedral of Strasburg is larger in size in Alsace than the old abbey church. The abbey was shut down with the French Revolution and the church became simply a parish church. Waters from the Lauter River are channeled into several canals which run through and around the old town adding to the charm of the many old timber-framed houses which date back as far as the 15th and 16th centuries.
Being on the border of Germany and France also means the town has seen its share of armies marching this way and that. There is a large memorial on the Geisberg just south of town that attests to more than one battle of Wissembourg.
Set on the northeast edge of town directly next to where an old mill was set on the Lauter River, the hotel makes an... more travel advice
The German 3rd Army was made up of units of the various German allies - Prussia, Bavaria, Baden and Wurttemburg. This... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Wissembourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WISSEMBOURG - WELCOME TO THE ALSACE"
- "Welcome to WISSEMBOURG"
- "Wissembourg - lovely gem of L'Alsace"
- "Bienvenue à Wissembourg!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wissembourg
- Hotels in Wissembourg
- Transportation in Wissembourg
- Restaurants in Wissembourg
- Shopping in Wissembourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wissembourg
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Wissembourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wissembourg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- updated a Wissembourg Travel Page "WISSEMBOURG - WELCOME TO THE ALSACE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "WISSEMBOURG - WELCOME TO THE ALSACE"
- Wrote a Review Quiet and epicurean in Wissembourg Hotels
- Commented on one of Trekki's Wissembourg travel pages
Photos in WissembourgSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos