"BAD KREUZNACH - KUR TOWN FOR THE KAISER" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Kreuznach by mtncorg
Bad Kreuznach Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 125 photos
Bad Kreuznach is a quiet town only about 20 km south of the touristic circus of the Rhine Canyon. It has long been a town where Armies have been stationed, whether German, French or American. The armies have now left, but plenty of tourists - mostly Germans on Kur - still throng the city. Most of the kurhotels are along the Nahe river. People can walk along the river through beautiful parks along the Nahe or they can hike up into forested hills that abruptly rise south and west of the city.
One of the more unique features of walking along the Nahe River are the gradierwerks in the Salinental. They are basically like huge outdoor vaporizers where water is pumped up into long towers and then percolated down through branches which give off the vaporizing effects. The Kurgaeste enjoy walking around the gradierwerks, breathing the air, sitting on the benches. On a nice sunny day, it is easy to while away part of the day sitting, watching the water and the spray.
The Nahe river valley flattens out as it goes through Bad Kreuznach en route to its mixing with the waters of the Rhine, 20 km to the north in Bingen am Rhine. But Bad Krueznach (or 'BK' as it is affectionately known to more than one American servicemember who had the opportunity to share its hospitality) is sited right at the exit of a deep wooded canyon, where the Nahe has emerged from the hilllands of the Palatinate. 5 Km to the south, is the next kurtown with a typical Germanic tonguetwisting name of Bad Muenster am Stein/Ebernburg. This town is very pretty, hugging the banks of the Nahe while canyon walls steeply rise high above, festooned with the occasional castle to remind you that you are indeed in Europe. And of course, the dramatic Rotenfels are here, rising 300m above the river, draped with steeply pitched vineyards and crowned by wonderful forests.
Bad Kreuznach's primary tourist symbol is the 'Brueckenhauser' or bridge houses. The bridgehouses
The third week of August, the city puts on the annual Jahrmarkt. Many towns have similar fairs in this part of Germany - wine country - which date from much earlier times. The city is the heart of the Nahe wine region - one of the smaller and lesser known of Germany's wine regions. Though the region is small, outstanding wines are made here, in part, due to the demandingness of the sites where the grapes are grown, but also due to the art of the vinters. At the Jahrmarkt, you can taste many of the local wines in a large Oktoberfest-sized tent. Easy paths go along the river making it easy to return to your room afterwards. It is a big fest and locals look forward to it every year.
- Pros:Wine, castles, vapors, nature, federwiesse, maiwein
- Cons:Rush hour
- In a nutshell:Great place to take a vacation from your vacation
Staying awhile? You might want to join the local Rudderverein/Rowing Club - Crueznacker Ruderverein - which uses the... more travel advice
This house on the eastern edge of the Altstadt (there is a bit of the old town wall preserved but a short walk further... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Bad Kreuznach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Kreuznach, lovely setting & marvellous hiking"
- "BAD KREUZNACH - KUR TOWN FOR THE KAISER"
- "BAD KREUZNACH"
- "Bad Kreuznach, a spa town worth seeing"
- "The amazing 'Brueckenhauser'"
- "Ad Opticum - optician in one of the bridge houses"
- "Sleepy Bad Kreuznach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Kreuznach
- Hotels in Bad Kreuznach
- Transportation in Bad Kreuznach
- Restaurants in Bad Kreuznach
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Kreuznach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bad Kreuznach
- 16 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Bad Kreuznach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Kreuznach
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Uploaded a Photo to "BAD KREUZNACH - KUR TOWN FOR THE KAISER"
- updated a Bad Kreuznach Travel Page "BAD KREUZNACH - KUR TOWN FOR THE KAISER"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Bad Kreuznach travel pages
- Wrote a Review ROWING CLUB in Bad Kreuznach Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Bad KreuznachSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Latest Bad Kreuznach hotel reviews
- Hotel am Holzmarkt
- 1 Review & Opinion