"Anchorage - Gateway to Wild Alaska" Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage by onebadcat
Anchorage Travel Guide: 835 reviews and 1,559 photos
People who come to Anchorage expecting a cosmopolitan city are usually disappointed. However for a city of 250,000 people it has most of the big city ammenities covered. The way I look at it all the entertainment, arts and nightlife is represented here but we have a more limited selection than say San Francisco.
But then you wouldn't come to Anchorage to experience big city life would you? What Anchorage offers visitors is a diverse city atmosphere with prices ranging from budget to luxury that serves as a base for adventures into the rest of Southcentral Alaska. You can have the time of your life hiking down a mountain ridge knowing you are just 20 minutes from a fancy seafood dinner and an expensive bottle of wine. (or in my case a few choice beers and some cheap appetizers)
Don't miss the local brews and brewpubs!
I ran across this comment on a fellow VTers page and it made me laugh. I laughed because it IS for the most part true. Compared to the wilder places in Alaska it is a 'hole'. Compared to the beautiful architecture of Paris or Rome it IS a 'hole'. But, compared to any city of 250,000 people in the USA Anchorage is fantastic!
Anchorage grew faster than it could cope with changing overnight from frontier town to the city it is today. Most of the architecture is ordinary, zoning and city planning are horrible, the streets are often potholed after a hard winter and the mayor's hundreds of flower beds don't necessarily hide these facts. However, what Anchorage lacks in urban aesthetics it makes up for with it's huge parks, hundreds of miles of trails and the beauty that still surrounds the city.
Quality of life is what we do best in Alaska — Anchorage is no exception.
There are a couple of things that make this a great hike: 1. The Turnagain Trail is one of the first trails to be... more travel advice
I have been asked several times for advice on where someone on a tight budget can stay in Anchorage. Below is a list of... more travel advice
- See All Great Burgers at Awesome Prices
- See All Anchorage Hikes – Knoya Peak
- See All Bicycling or Kayaking at Eklutna Lake
- Rental Cars – The Do's and Don'ts
onebadcat's Related Pages
Anchorage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here"
- "Alaskan Fun Starts Here"
- "Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land"
- "My 2 Alaskas"
- "Anchorage - Gateway to Wild Alaska"
- "frankcanfly's Anchorage Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anchorage
- Hotels in Anchorage
- Transportation in Anchorage
- Nightlife in Anchorage
- Restaurants in Anchorage
- Shopping in Anchorage
- Warnings and Dangers in Anchorage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anchorage
- 32 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Anchorage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anchorage
- Posted in Travel Caye Caulker Forum "Re: ragamuffin tours"
- updated a Anchorage Travelogue "Anchorage Area Activities – Photologue"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Anchorage Area Activities – Photologue"
- Wrote a Review Anchorage Hikes - Turnagain Arm Trail about Chugach Mountains in Anchorage Things to Do
- Commented on one of Stephen-KarenConn's Anchorage travel pages
Photos in AnchorageSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 32 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Homer Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington State Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Nancy Lake State Recreation Area Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chugach State Park Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cooper Landing Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kodiak Island Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue