"Okavango - Jewel of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana by pmarshuk

Botswana Travel Guide: 748 reviews and 2,420 photos

I spent 2 weeks in the Okavango Delta with Wilderness Safaris in their so-called tented camps. Camping was never like this when I was young, see the accomodation tips to get an idea of how luxurious these places are.
Fortunately my daughter and son-in-law were managers at Jao camp so I was able to avoid the very high costs normally associated with these type of camps. (Update - my daughter is now pregnant and they have had to give up this job :-(
Also stayed at Xigera, Duma Tau and Duba Plains camps, all in or around the Delta, but in slightly different environments so each has it's own attractions.
Duba Plains is in an area with large buffalo herds so it also attracts lots of predators and it was here that I saw some fantastic lion action

Botswana has a reputaion of being a very upmarket destination and in general this is true. But it is worth noting that most of the tourism is built up with the aim of helping Botswana and its people. You won't find mega tour companies and hotel chains here. The lodges are on concessions leased from the local tribes and apart from the managers all the staff are from Botswana. In some cases the local villages are extremely involved with running the camps and all take a share of the profits.

• Pros:Fantastic wildlife without the crowds
  • Last visit to Botswana: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2006

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I hope to see so many animals as you during our next visit to the Okavango thank you for your tips Gracias !!!!

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Great tips thanx

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Hi there Terrific photo of a Woodland Kingfisher. Back in the 1980s I lived in Botswana and spent several holidays in the Okavango. Your pictures of the makoro have brought it all back to me. Thanks for the memories, Mike

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Thanks for the photos and perspective on viewing Botswana. We are going through there to avoid Zimbabwe and the pages helped chose a route.

• cchiuching's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Great tips! How much does it cost approximately for a safaris for a week?

• catpause's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Thanks for the great information and photographs. We are headed to Botswana in July, staying at Duma Tau as well as others. Looking forward to a great time as it seems you did.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 8:48 PM

Hello Phil! Thank you for taking me back to Botswana, what an amazing place. Unfortunately my camera decided to stop working there so all I have left are my memories. Happy birthday from Finland!

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 1:08 AM

Excellent pages! I just came back from Namibia. Botswana will hopefully be next! Nigel

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 6:12 AM

Amazing stories and photos! Never really considered Botswana as a destination, but now it's a must! Thank you for the tips.

• Waxbag's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 6:38 AM

Fantastic information on the Delta. You saw a lot! john

pmarshuk

“Looking forward to being back in Thailand again”

Badges & Stats in Botswana

Have you been to Botswana?

Latest Activity in Botswana