"Okavango - Jewel of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana by pmarshuk
Botswana Travel Guide: 748 reviews and 2,420 photos
I spent 2 weeks in the Okavango Delta with Wilderness Safaris in their so-called tented camps. Camping was never like this when I was young, see the accomodation tips to get an idea of how luxurious these places are.
Fortunately my daughter and son-in-law were managers at Jao camp so I was able to avoid the very high costs normally associated with these type of camps. (Update - my daughter is now pregnant and they have had to give up this job :-(
Also stayed at Xigera, Duma Tau and Duba Plains camps, all in or around the Delta, but in slightly different environments so each has it's own attractions.
Duba Plains is in an area with large buffalo herds so it also attracts lots of predators and it was here that I saw some fantastic lion action
Botswana has a reputaion of being a very upmarket destination and in general this is true. But it is worth noting that most of the tourism is built up with the aim of helping Botswana and its people. You won't find mega tour companies and hotel chains here. The lodges are on concessions leased from the local tribes and apart from the managers all the staff are from Botswana. In some cases the local villages are extremely involved with running the camps and all take a share of the profits.
- Pros:Fantastic wildlife without the crowds
Is it a restaurant or is it nightlife. Whatever it comes under having a gin and tonic sundowner out in the Delta is... more travel advice
Small herds of these raom the plains, the widlebeest stay close to zebra because the zebra have much better eyesight and... more travel advice
pmarshuk's Related Pages
Botswana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FLAT, FRIENDLY & FUN"
- "Okavango - Jewel of Africa"
- "Far from the madding crowd"
- "Might this be Eden?"
- "Botswana 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Botswana
- Hotels in Botswana
- Transportation in Botswana
- Nightlife in Botswana
- Restaurants in Botswana
- Shopping in Botswana
- Warnings and Dangers in Botswana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Botswana
- 41 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Botswana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Botswana
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 69 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 41 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 27 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 26 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 21 photos