"The Coromandel Penninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel by allikat

Coromandel Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 580 photos

Pacific Beaches and bush~clad hills

From where I live, I can look across the water that is the Firth of Thames, where Captain Cook once sailed, and see the outline of the Coromandel Penninsula. It has become one of my favourite parts of New Zealand and it has so much to offer. Luckily I am able to visit on a regular basis!

Coromandel Township is where the first gold in New Zealand was discovered back in 1852. Now it is a pretty coastal township that bustles with shops, pubs, cafes, art galleries and museums. It has a real 'colonial' feel, with many of the old buildings still very much in use. It gives its name to this whole region, so mainly, when you hear reference to 'The Coromandel' it is generally the entire penninsula that is being referred to.

There is so much to see and do here...the area has beautiful soft, sandy beaches on the Pacific Ocean side (the East coast), which will appeal to beach lovers, surfers, divers and fishers, and craggier beaches on the Thames side, where you can hunt for gemstones. The interior of the penninsula, from soft rolling hills to some impressive peaks, is densely covered with lush, green native bush, and there are many trails to be followed. There are even some hot springs, and at Hot Water Beach you can scrape yourself a hole in the sand at low tide and enjoy as the thermal waters naturally bubble up!!

I will be adding to these pages as I get to cover more and more of the area, so it may be worth checking back from time to time.

Sunset over the Coromandel

This photo was taken from a friends boat, 'Ventilate' while we were anchored off the Mercury Islands, a group of islands off the North East Coromandel coast, in January 2004. We were en~route returning the boat to its marina near Auckland after celebrating the New Year at Pauanui, a popular holiday resort on Coromandels East coast. The trip took a couple of leisurely days in perfect weather with blue skies and little or no breeze, and we were accompanied by dolphins a lot of the time. It was a great opportunity to get to view the penninsula from a different perspective.

The evening before this photo was taken, I couldn't decide which was more sparkling ~ the sky, full of stars and the Milky Way, or the water, glittering with phosporous in the darkness. All in all, a great way to see in the New Year!

Not your usual Christmas for a Pom!

Christmas 2003 was my first Southern Hemisphere Christmas, so it was very different to what I am used to, being from chilly England! No cold weather, or family Christmas dinner with turkey and crackers and silly hats.
This is a picture of Hahei beach, taken on Boxing Day. We spent Christmas in a tent, by the beach, with a barbeque and some bubbly.
And it was perfect!

• Pros:Plenty of opportunities to explore
  • Cons:Can't really think of any!
  • In a nutshell:I am in love with the Coromandel! And who can blame me!?
  • Last visit to Coromandel: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2005

• aannee's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Very nice.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM

hi Alison,&congrats on the safe arrival of your very own baby kiwi!In lovely Coromandel!Enjoyed reading batch vs crib(tho didnt know about the sth island's crib!)We had a batch up north but its now been modernised..so these days its a holiday house!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 1:50 PM

stunning looking place, i must say

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Yes, his motto was 'Two sheds are better than one.'

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 5:16 AM

Nice tips, well photographed. We'll be there in about a month, you up for a meet? Cheers

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I'm struggling to find your page Miss Bliss!!! By the way, WE have a date with Vin Diesel, so herb stealing we will go hahahahaha :-))

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 4:15 AM

Your page brought back nice memories about our trip to NZ in January. We had 5 days at Matarangi Beach on Coromandel peninsula and enjoyed the area very much.

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 6:01 AM

Beautiful pictures, beautiful place !

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 6:51 AM

Very Beautiful & informative page of unknown New Zealand. Great pictures and very beautiful country.

• AKHermit's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2006 at 5:05 PM

Finally was able to scan a photo. My wife Belly ring is healing nicely.

allikat Visits Here Frequently!

allikat

“Blessed are the cheesemakers.”

Badges & Stats in Coromandel

Have you been to Coromandel?

Latest Activity in Coromandel