"Historic Coggeshall" Coggeshall by allikat
Coggeshall Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 74 photos
A lot of words are used to describe Coggeshall. 'Quaint' is one of them. 'Charming' another. 'Picturesque' crops up quite a lot too. I spent several years selling property here, and it was hard work avoiding the cliches.
The fact is, Coggeshall IS a quaint and charming country market town (yes, town. You will generally see Coggeshall referred to as a village by all except the local inhabitants who know that their market charter makes their home a town). It sprawls out from the central area - markets are still held here weekly, and there are somewhere in the region of 300 buildings here listed as being of 'architectural or historical importance'. There is the photogenic church, a medieval timber-framed pub and ducks swimming under a weeping willow tree that trails in the river. Coggeshall is a place to take your camera.
I grew up near Coggeshall, and I can remember when Coggeshall was famous for its antiques trade. A sign from the main A120 road would point the way and proudly advertise the fact that there were at least 15 antique shops. The most famous of these was run by a dealer named Mark Marchant. His shop was a real treasure trove, an old timber building by the market place filled with antique clocks, paintings and pottery. Coggeshall was filmed as the setting for a couple of episodes of a popular nineties TV series, Lovejoy, about an antiques dealer and 'loveable rogue'. Nowadays, only a couple of the antique shops remain, but there are plenty of arts/crafts and gift shops still to enjoy browsing around on a lazy afternoon.
- In a nutshell:A thriving place filled with typical old English character.
I deliberated over whether or not a tip for a country pub came under Nightlife or Restaurants. Neither of those seemed... more travel advice
UPDATE: Such a shame, but on my last visit to Coggeshall in 2007 I saw that Goodies has been put up for sale. The shop... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Coggeshall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Coggeshall"
- "Coggeshall in Essex, England - A Quaint Village"
- "Coggeshall - a charming village"
- "Nice Essex village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coggeshall
- Hotels in Coggeshall
- Transportation in Coggeshall
- Nightlife in Coggeshall
- Restaurants in Coggeshall
- Shopping in Coggeshall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coggeshall
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Coggeshall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coggeshall
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue