"Rotorua!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua by allikat
Rotorua Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,224 photos
Rotorua ~ what a great place! I have visited a couple of times now, only managing to spend a couple of days here each time, and with so much to see, do and experience here, it is going to take me several more visits to fit it all in (so I have a great excuse to keep going back!). My advice is to plan your visit well, and make the most of your time ~ you wont regret it.
Located about 3 hours or so by car from Auckland, Rotorua is the geothermal heart of New Zealands North Island. Famous for its naturally occuring hot springs, bubbling mud pools and geysers, as well as its beautiful lakes and rich Maori heritage ~ the Maori culture here is very much alive and kicking and ready to be experienced.
Of course, the other thing that Rotorua is known for is the strong smell of sulphur that hangs in the air ~ if you have never experienced this smell, think of rotten eggs and you will have a fairly good idea! This is a result of all the geothermal activity in the area, Lake Rotorua is, after all, a massive volcanic crater!
New Zealanders will sometimes refer to Rotorua as 'Rottenrua" because of the eggy whiffs! Don't, please, let the smell put you off. After a short while, you will be unlikely to still be noticing it, and it is not as unpleasant as you might imagine. Go on ~ deep breaths!
In addition to the culture and the geothermal attractions, Rotorua is also big on adventure activities.
The Agrodome, as well as farm tours and sheep shearing shows, has an adventure park where you can bungee, swoop, jet boat, experience a simulated skydive, or go Zorbing (the picture here shows a zorb rolling down hill, with someone sloshing around inside!). Zorbing is brilliant fun!
Several companies offer scenic helicopter flights, not just over the Rotorua area, but going as far afield as White Island, an active marine volcano out in the Bay of Plenty.
There are lots of opportunities for activities out on the lake itself, including water skiing, fishing charters, dinner cruises or maybe you fancy a real skydive?
The town itself has a great selection of shops, bars and cafes.
If it's a quieter time that you're after, no problem, go enjoy a soak at one of the superb local spas, enjoy some trout fishing,or enjoy a walk in the nearby Redwood forest.
- Pros:Heaps to do, see and experience, some beautiful scenery!
- Cons:Very popular place, hence it can get very busy - they don't call it Rotovegas for nothing!
- In a nutshell:An essential part of your New Zealand experience!
It makes sense that if Rotoruas main attraction is its natural geothermal wonders, then to see the steam and geysers and... more travel advice
Aorangi Peak is perched on the side of Rotoruas Mount Ngonotaha, and at 2,000 feet above sea level it gives you enjoy... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Rotorua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Roto-Vegas!"
- "Clean Steam - Smell Hell - Culture Capital"
- "Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island."
- "Maori Culture"
- "Rotorua: between sulphur smell and maori culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotorua
- Hotels in Rotorua
- Transportation in Rotorua
- Nightlife in Rotorua
- Restaurants in Rotorua
- Shopping in Rotorua
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotorua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotorua
- 19 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Rotorua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotorua
Photos in RotoruaSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue