"Cape Reinga and Spirits Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Reinga by allikat
Cape Reinga Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 118 photos
Cape Reinga is considered to be New Zealands northernmost point, in much the same way that John O' Groats is considered to be Great Britains Northernmost point. Neither of them are (New Zealands is actually across at the Surville Cliffs and Britains is Cape Wrath). But here is where the lighthouse is, and here is where you can actually see the Tasman Sea collide with the mighty Pacific Ocean.
If you come to Cape Reinga under your own steam,as I did, (as opposed to travelling with an organised tour bus) be aware that it is a fair old drive, much of it on unsealed gravel road. But the drive through Northland is a pretty one, and it really is worth the effort, with lots of photo opportunities, and it means you can go on to visit nearby Spirits Bay (which the tour buses don't). Alternatively, there are many tour operators running from Kaitaia which will take you up the sands of Ninety Mile Beach, show you the Cape and take you back via the road.
The very nice people at the New Zealand Automobile Association decided that it would be helpful to know which way was the Equater, amongst other places, and how far away it was. Consequently there is a sign informing us that the Equater is a mere 3,827km, Los Angeles is over that way, just 10,479km away, and London is a sobering 19,271km away!
Certainly, there is a sense of isolation to be had here, and the feeling that you are a very long way from anywhere at all. Which, standing at the edge of New Zealand, one of the worlds more remote nations, you are...
- Pros:Views don't get much bigger than this.
- Cons:Can get crowded if several tour bus's turn up at once.
- In a nutshell:Everything I wanted it to be.
Spirits Bay is a 15/20km drive from Cape Reinga, again along unsealed road. And once you get there, you will fall... more travel advice
At Cape Reinga you can actually see the waters of the Tasman Sea collide with the mighty Pacific Ocean! Even on a calm... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Cape Reinga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The end of the world"
- "Cape Reinga and Spirits Bay"
- "Cape Reinga - Top of New Zealand"
- "Rerenga Wairua"
- "Cape Reinga , the top end of NZ."
- "Cape Reinga"
- "Cape Reinga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Reinga
- Hotels in Cape Reinga
- Transportation in Cape Reinga
- Restaurants in Cape Reinga
- Shopping in Cape Reinga
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Reinga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Reinga
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Cape Reinga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Reinga
Photos in Cape ReingaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue