"Mount Maunganui - A Great Beach Resort!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui by allikat
Mount Maunganui Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 160 photos
Mount Maunganui is a popular holiday resort - popular with both overseas visitors and Kiwis alike - which forms part of the port city of Tauranga. The area, generally known as 'The Mount', has a real 'holiday' feel to it, with pavement cafes lining the long, sandy beach and further up some upmarket holiday homes and apartments. Particularly at New Year, the Mount can become crowded - certainly if you plan to visit during the Kiwi summer months, it is best to book well in advance.
The dominant feature of the town, the Mount itself (called Mauao in Maori legend and meaning 'caught by the dawn') towers 232 meters over the end of the beach, and has several steep tracks leading to it's summit - easily reached in an hour or so. A long-extinct volcano and once a Maori pa site (a fortified settlement), the views from the top stretch away over the Pacific ocean towards Mayor Island, the Aldermans and on a fine day you can just about see White Island, an active marine volcano.
You can also get a good overview of the town itself, with the port and harbour on one side and the long sweep of the ocean on the other - this is the bay of Plenty. The port welcomes ships from around the world, including huge container vessels and cruise ships
The beach is superb, known as a good surf beach. It is long and sandy with a wide boardwalk running along it. There iss a good selection of cafes and restaurants, and nestled at the base of the mount itself is a small motorcamp - this is where you will find New Zealanders who have been holidaying here for generations. There is also a saltwater hotpools, for a relaxing soak after your trip up the mount! Plenty to enjoy in this great kiwi holiday town!
- Pros:Great beach, pavement cafes and super views from the mount
- Cons:Can be incredibly busy at holiday times, especially at new year
- In a nutshell:A great opportunity to visit a kiwi holiday resort
At times, the paths on the mount can take you close to the edge, and there are no guard rails. As long as common sense... more travel advice
A typical kiwi pavement cafe, the Cabana Cafe is on the seafront, overlooking the beach and the ocean. All day... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Mount Maunganui Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauao/Mt Maunganui, Bay of Plenty"
- "MOUNT MAUNGANUI....MAGNIFICENT!!!"
- "Mount Maunganui - A Great Beach Resort!"
- "Mount up and Head Out!"
- "Mount Maunganui North Island"
- "Dream location"
- "Christmas 2005 New Zealand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Maunganui
- Hotels in Mount Maunganui
- Transportation in Mount Maunganui
- Nightlife in Mount Maunganui
- Restaurants in Mount Maunganui
- Shopping in Mount Maunganui
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Maunganui
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Maunganui
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Mount Maunganui?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Maunganui
Photos in Mount MaunganuiSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue