"Goat Island Marine Reserve" Goat Island by allikat
Goat Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos
Goat Island is a marine reserve to the North of Auckland. It gets it's name from the days or exploratory travel - goat islands were capable of containing herds of goats from the ships as goats were frugal with fresh water supplies and couldn't escape into the 'new land' by swimming to shore.
It was created a marine reserve back in 1975 - in fact it was the first such reserve in New Zealand. Since then, in addition to being used for scientific marine studies, it has become a favourite site for diving schools and families.
The water here is very clear, so even just standing on the rocks at the waters edge you can see the fish and other marine life. Get in the water with a snorkel and mask and the variety of marine life will keep you entertained for hours.
But remember - this is a 'No Take' marine reserve. As the saying goes, take only photographs, leave only footprints. Don't even think of bringing your fishing rod here!!
And if you don't fancy getting in the water, or the weather isn't so great, enjoy a relaxing wander along the beach. Enjoy the views, sit awhile on the rocks. This is a beautiful spot, and only an hour or so from Auckland (via State Highway 1to Warkworth before turning off and following the signs to Leigh and Goat Island).
allikat's Related Pages
Goat Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Goat Island
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Goat Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goat Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue