"Goat Island Marine Reserve" Goat Island by allikat

Goat Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos

Goat Island is a marine reserve to the North of Auckland. It gets it's name from the days or exploratory travel - goat islands were capable of containing herds of goats from the ships as goats were frugal with fresh water supplies and couldn't escape into the 'new land' by swimming to shore.

It was created a marine reserve back in 1975 - in fact it was the first such reserve in New Zealand. Since then, in addition to being used for scientific marine studies, it has become a favourite site for diving schools and families.

The water here is very clear, so even just standing on the rocks at the waters edge you can see the fish and other marine life. Get in the water with a snorkel and mask and the variety of marine life will keep you entertained for hours.

But remember - this is a 'No Take' marine reserve. As the saying goes, take only photographs, leave only footprints. Don't even think of bringing your fishing rod here!!

And if you don't fancy getting in the water, or the weather isn't so great, enjoy a relaxing wander along the beach. Enjoy the views, sit awhile on the rocks. This is a beautiful spot, and only an hour or so from Auckland (via State Highway 1to Warkworth before turning off and following the signs to Leigh and Goat Island).

• Last visit to Goat Island: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2005

• Nov 24, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Nice tip but i like to see and more

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM

so, no goats then ?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 3:49 AM

Can i tell this - my dad came home with a Maumau once after a day out fishing and it was really delicious!

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 7:58 PM

are there still goats there I wonder

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 11:16 AM

Another beautiful picture !

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 2:56 PM

A rating! Cool. My boss blows goats, can I send him here?

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 2:06 PM

Are youhonestly trying to tell me that tourists turn up with a tub of fish food??!! Sounds a great place :-)

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 5:59 PM

Can you drive to the island?? hahahaha. ok i wanna go there!! can we, can we, can we.....?? ;-)

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 7:04 PM

The more I look at your pages, the sooner I want to get down there.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 12:22 AM

...I assume that eating the fish is similarly frowned upon? Ah well, I shall shelve my proposal for a mobile chip van!

allikat Visits Here Frequently!

allikat

“Blessed are the cheesemakers.”

Badges & Stats in Goat Island

Have you been to Goat Island?