"The Beautiful Barrier!" Great Barrier Island by allikat
Great Barrier Island Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 50 photos
Named 'Big Barrier' by Captain Cook, it's Maori name is Aotea, which means White Cloud.
The climate is generally quite mild, with summers being hot and dry while the winters are wet.
It is a rugged island, with Mount Hobson being the highest point at 621m above sea level. Most of the island is covered in native bush, although the giant Kauri trees have mostly been felled.
On my first visit to 'the Barrier' I was lucky enough to spend 4 days there on a friends boat, 'Ventilate'. We had an awesome time, and I totally fell in love with this beautiful island. Christmas 2004 saw us back on Ventilate and back to the Barrier ~ still beautiful, unspoilt and a great 'off the beaten path' corner of New Zealand.
These mangles are part of the 'goodwill' facilities at the bay - I think they have character! They are still there, as the landslip just missed them. I believe volunteers armed with shovels are planning on clearing the site and restoring the facilities there
This photo of an Australasian Gannet was taken near Little Barrier Island. Gannets were feeding alongside fluttering shearwaters, blue penguins and white-fronted terns. This is also an area of water where you may be lucky enough to spot dolphins, whales and orcas.
- Pros:Native bush, few roads, few people.
- Cons:getting there
- In a nutshell:An oasis for wildlife - a place to fall in love with!
Ghost Bay is a popular spot that boats and yachts aim for for the night, as it is generally calm and quiet. A gently... more travel advice
The local tourist information office is only open during the summer months, generally from around Christmas and staying... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Great Barrier Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Barrier!"
- "Great Barrier Island"
- "Yachties Paradise"
- "Great Barrier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Barrier Island
- Hotels in Great Barrier Island
- Nightlife in Great Barrier Island
- Restaurants in Great Barrier Island
- Shopping in Great Barrier Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Barrier Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Decatur Hotels
- Johnson Shut-Ins State Park Hotels
- Deer Creek State Park Hotels
- Freiburg im Breisgau
- Mooresville Hotels
- Siem Reap
- Marsa al `Alam
- Parksville Hotels
- Heron Island Hotels
- Province of Camarines Sur
- Cayo Coco
- Half Moon Bay
Badges & Stats in Great Barrier Island
- 13 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Great Barrier Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Barrier Island
- Posted in Travel Queenstown Forum "Re: Milford Sound/LOTR in Winter"
- Commented on one of bigsurxl's Great Barrier Island travel pages
- updated a Great Barrier Island Travel Page "The Beautiful Barrier!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go dive. Go snorkel."
- Wrote a Review Ghost Bay in Great Barrier Island Things to Do
Photos in Great Barrier IslandSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue