"Rangitoto, Island Volcano" Rangitoto Island by allikat
Rangitoto Island Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos
It is the newest of Aucklands 40-plus volcanic mounds, having burst into life some six or seven centuries ago, meaning it was the only one to have been witnessed by humans, namely the local Maori people living on neighbouring Motutapu (to which Rangitoto is joined via a narrow causeway). All of Aucklands volcanos became extinct shortly after their eruption - the plateau simply pops up a new one when the need arises. Apparently, another one will be along soon (that is, soon in geological terms).
The last 150 years have been a busy time for Rangitoto. After being sold to the Crown by its Maori owners in 1854, it has seen prison labourers quarry it's volcanic scoria, been used as a fortified military base, welcomed generations of Kiwi holiday-makers and is now one of Aucklands most popular day-trip destinations. The summit is easily reached for a fantastic view of Auckland city, seen with the Waitakere Ranges as a backdrop. Rangitoto should feature as a 'must-do' in any itinerary that features a few days in or around Auckland
The summit of Rangitoto is a large plateau which has been boardwalked, with places to sit and relax after your climb.... more travel advice
For generations, families have been building small holiday homes on Rangitoto - recycling bits and pieces to create a... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Rangitoto Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rangitoto, Island Volcano"
- "Just a young one"
- "Keeweechic's Rangitoto Island"
- "Rangitoto Island, New Zealand"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rangitoto Island
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Rangitoto Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rangitoto Island
Photos in Rangitoto IslandSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue