"Te Aroha" Te Aroha by allikat
Te Aroha Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 56 photos
Te Aroha is a pretty little township nestled at the base of Mount Te Aroha, over 3,000 feet of mountain forming part of the Kaimai Range. You would be forgiven for thinking that the mountain would provide shelter for the township, but in fact wild weather tends to roll off the Kaimais and regularly batters the little town with wind and rain. Luckily, both my recent visits coincided with beautiful blue skies and fine weather, and Te Aroha with all it's old buildings is certainly a lovely place to explore in the sunshine.
Te Aroha is a Maori placename, although it is believed that there was no real permanent Maori settlement here much before the early nineteenth century. However a Maori chief is said to have named the mountain and the township - Te Aroha means 'loved' or 'beloved'.
This photo shows the hulk of Mount Te Aroha, rising up suddenly from the otherwise generally flat farmland. The area surrounding the town has many dairy farms, as the land here is known to be lush, green and fertile.
Te Aroha is the highest peak of the dense bush-covered sloped of the dramatic Kaimai Ranges, rough country but very beautiful. There are many walking opportunities in the area. This is an area of New Zealand that overseas visitors will generally pass by on their way to better-known (and busier) tourist hotspots, and it is an area that I would recommend you explore if your itinerary allows. Only an hour and a half or so from Auckland, this would make an ideal daytrip even for those with little time to spare in the area.
- Pros:Plenty to explore, lots of history, only 90 minutes from Auckland
- Cons:Weather rolling off the mountains can be rough at times
- In a nutshell:A little gem of a township and a great day out!
Te Arohas Information Centre was built as the ticketing and information office for the Domain - it has been an... more travel advice
Te Aroha isn't a large township, but seems packed full of local history. The Te Aroha Heritage Trail is a walk around... more travel advice
Written Oct 14, 2006
Walk Te Arohas Heritage Trail
Written Oct 14, 2006
allikat's Related Pages
Te Aroha Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Te Aroha
- Hotels in Te Aroha
- Transportation in Te Aroha
- Restaurants in Te Aroha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Te Aroha
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Te Aroha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Te Aroha
Photos in Te ArohaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (80)
Latest Te Aroha hotel reviews
- Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013