"Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!" Tirau by allikat
Tirau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos
Tirau is a small town, which you will come across if you make the drive from Auckland to Rotorua (or Rotorua to Auckland, for that matter!). Although it's only a small town, you will know it when you see it. As part of a successful town revitalisation initiative a few years ago, the town shops and cafes feature colourful corrugated iron motifs and signs, and a couple are actually shaped as animals from the corrugated iron (yeah, it sounds weird, but trust me, somehow it works!).
The shops themselves are worth a look. They are mainly designed for the tourist, but I think they have succeeded in neither ripping the tourist off, nor being tacky (I visit fairly regularly, and always end up coming home with something). Well done, Tirau!
Oh, the picture? Well, this is Tirau church, which I have put up to make Craic smile when she sees it, lol!!
- Pros:Lots to see
- Cons:crossing the street in busy traffic
- In a nutshell:Tirau is proof that size isn't everything!!
The Christmas Heirloom Company sells Christmas decorations all year round. They have the most incredible selection of... more travel advice
Tirau caters beautifully for the tourist without ripping the tourist off. There are plenty of cute boutiquey type gift... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Tirau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!"
- "Tirau, on the way to Rotorua and Taupo."
- "Tirau - a small town with a lot of antiques shops!"
- "What corrugated iron can do for your town"
- "Tirau - almost in the middle of nowhere"
- "The corrugated iron town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tirau
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tirau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tirau
- Posted in Travel Queenstown Forum "Re: Milford Sound/LOTR in Winter"
- updated a Tirau Travel Page "Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Te Waihou Walkway and the Blue Spring"
- Wrote a Review Christmas memories all year round! about The Christmas Heirloom Company in Tirau Shopping
- Commented on one of kiwi's Tirau travel pages
Photos in TirauSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue