"Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!" Tirau by allikat

Tirau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos

Tirau is a small town, which you will come across if you make the drive from Auckland to Rotorua (or Rotorua to Auckland, for that matter!). Although it's only a small town, you will know it when you see it. As part of a successful town revitalisation initiative a few years ago, the town shops and cafes feature colourful corrugated iron motifs and signs, and a couple are actually shaped as animals from the corrugated iron (yeah, it sounds weird, but trust me, somehow it works!).

The shops themselves are worth a look. They are mainly designed for the tourist, but I think they have succeeded in neither ripping the tourist off, nor being tacky (I visit fairly regularly, and always end up coming home with something). Well done, Tirau!

Oh, the picture? Well, this is Tirau church, which I have put up to make Craic smile when she sees it, lol!!

• Pros:Lots to see
  • Cons:crossing the street in busy traffic
  • In a nutshell:Tirau is proof that size isn't everything!!
  • Last visit to Tirau: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I liked this town. Don't remember seeing the Castle though, perhaps it wasn't there, or maybe we just missed it.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 5:10 AM

Nice stuff, couple of enticing shots there. What sort of camera are you using?

• tissie's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 10:09 AM

Hi, I love Tirau and spend ages mooching round the antique shops! Our friends Ann & Robbie own Status at the top of the hill. Greetings to NZ :-)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 1:06 PM

what a great page -thanks for sharing it. Enjoyed your travelogues too. N>

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 7:04 PM

Vewy interesting! We must do lunch at the Fine Swine Café... Did I ever tell you... we have an establishment here in Edmonton called Alley kat's Cafe and Brewery ...9929- 60 Ave. Tel: 780-436-8922

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2005 at 4:15 PM

missed this place when i visited nZ - ho, hum

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 1:44 PM

Yeah, I saw that Castle... what a strange name!!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2005 at 5:28 AM

Hey that castle is pretty cool, did you only have one photo??? surely not??? hahahaha, wink wink, nudge nudge ;-)

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 7:49 PM

We're thinking of going to NZ. How can we remember to stop here in 6 months?!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 3:48 PM

How did I miss all this?? I knew we should have stopped. I guess we will have to go back!

allikat Visits Here Frequently!

allikat

“Blessed are the cheesemakers.”

Badges & Stats in Tirau