"Tongariro!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park by allikat
Tongariro National Park Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 218 photos
I had wanted to do the Tongariro Crossing for a long time, but I hadn't really known what to expect. Well at last, I have done it - twice! The first time back in 2005 (my tip photos are mostly from that trek) and again in 2008. And, oh my word, what an amazing experience! Crossing vast volcanic plateaus, peering over steep ridges into a massive volcanic crater and down onto jewel coloured lakes. Seeing the snow capped peak of Mount Taranaki above the clouds far in the distance. Looking back and realising the expanse of black rock I have just walked past is actually a lava flow that has oozed through the crater's plug before running out of 'oomph', cooling and solidifying.
The Tongariro Crossing is considered to be New Zealand's best one day hike and among the best one day hikes anywhere in the world. However, although it is a challenging hike, it is not technical, nor particularly difficult. If you enjoy a reasonable level of fitness, then you can make the Crossing.
It is described as taking, on average, 7/8 hours. I have heard of people doing it in less. It took me and the first group I was with (all keen trampers) a full 10 hours to do on a day of perfect weather. This included a leisurely lunch by the Emerald Lakes, and many, many photo stops. My more recent trek took 8 hours and we were on the mountain for a slightly later start Although I would just have been repeating my photo opportunities I really wished I could have taken my time like before.
Speaking of weather, remember that this is a mountain, all 6,487ft of it (1,978m) and as such, you could experience pretty much any type of weather at any time of the year, and that conditions can change very rapidly. We were fortunate, and had clear blue skies all day. However, it was not much above freezing when we started out at 6.30am, we had glorious sunshine and bitter winds on the ridges, and ended up in shorts and tee shirts on the final descent. So, be prepared in terms of clothing, footwear, food and water.
The Tongariro National Park is the first National Park anywherein the world that was gifted to the nation by its indiginous people. In 1887, Te Heuheu Tukino IV, the Paramount Chief of the Tuwharetoa people, gave the land as a means of securing and protecting the area. I wonder if he ever realised that so many people would enjoy these stunning surroundings? The Crossings accessibility and popularity means that at peak times as many as 2,000 people a day may be doing the crossing with you!!
- Pros:The incredible experience of hiking across an active volcanic range!
- Cons:Is the physical effort a con? I think not. Maybe the numbers of walkers on busy weekends...
- In a nutshell:What an incredible day! Tough going but worth every step. I want to do it again!!
We stayed at Howard's Lodge for our trek in 2008 on my friend's recommendation - she loves the place and has stayed here... more travel advice
Remember, the Tongariro Crossing is a one way hike (as opposed to a round trip, or going up then coming down a... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Tongariro National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tongariro Crossing"
- " Tongariro National Park "
- "Welcome to Mordor! I mean Tongariro National Park"
- "Tongariro National Park"
- "Tongariro National Park"
- "A.K.A. Mordor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tongariro National Park
- Hotels in Tongariro National Park
- Transportation in Tongariro National Park
- Nightlife in Tongariro National Park
- Restaurants in Tongariro National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Tongariro National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tongariro National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tongariro National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tongariro National Park
- Posted in Travel Queenstown Forum "Re: Milford Sound/LOTR in Winter"
- updated a Tongariro National Park Travelogue "Tongariro 2008"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tongariro 2008"
- Wrote a Review Howard's Lodge, National Park... in Tongariro National Park Hotels
- Commented on one of Dodo22's Tongariro National Park travel pages
Photos in Tongariro National ParkSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue