"Essex - a fine English county." Top 5 Page for this destination Essex by allikat
Essex Travel Guide: 714 reviews and 1,481 photos
When I lived in Essex, I took Essex Girl jokes for granted. However, living in New Zealand (where it's difficult to be further away from Essex) I was surprised at how I still got to hear the same old chestnuts. The vast majority of these jokes cannot be repeated here (a possible exception being 'whats the difference between a supermarket trolley and an Essex Girl? A supermarket trolley has a mind of its own').
So it's fair to say that Essex has to some degree a somewhat tacky and unsavoury reputation. Well, this then is my attempt to show you that there is a whole lot more that this English county has to offer. It is true that some parts of South Essex are built up urban sprawl, 'new towns' built to accommodate London's post-war overspill. But much of Essex is truly picturesque. It is this that I want to try to convey here.
As well as having grown up in Essex, most of my working life was spent here (prior to my move to New Zealand, of course!). I was based from offices in Braintree, Kelvedon, Chelmsford, Sudbury (just over the border in Suffolk), Witham and Tiptree over a period spanning just over thirteen years, and my job meant that I got to cover a great many towns and villages around these areas.
It gave me a good knowledge of mid and North Essex - and from my perspective, that's where you get to successfully avoid the less appealing urban sprawl of 'Sarf Essex' and get to experience the history and rural appeal of places like The Hedinghams, Coggeshall and Thaxted.
I am a history nut, and so tend to at least give a passing mention to dates when describing places, as I believe it is relevant. Essex has a lot of history and is chock full of gorgeous buildings of historical importance. I am also passionate about old churches and feel that visiting a village church is one of the best ways I can think of to explore the history and get a feel for a place.
- Pros:Chock full of history, beautiful buildings, pretty villages
- Cons:Its awful 'Essex Girl' reputation - don't give it a second thought!
- In a nutshell:Go take a look at this lovely county and decide for yourself
My parents live just a few minutes from the incredibly old Cressing Temple Barns, and for years I drove past them more... more travel advice
OK, admittedly Braintree probably doesn't top many lists for the UK's Top Tourist Destinations, but it's a nice old... more travel advice
allikat's Related Pages
Essex Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Essex - a fine English county."
- "Scenic England"
- "Essex and its Villages"
- "Not all of Essex!"
- "A county of two halves..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essex
- Hotels in Essex
- Transportation in Essex
- Nightlife in Essex
- Restaurants in Essex
- Shopping in Essex
- Warnings and Dangers in Essex
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essex
- 34 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Essex?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essex
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arthur's Pass National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lavenham Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue