"The country of the sand" Top 5 Page for this destination Algeria by Svillegas

Algeria Travel Guide: 1,053 reviews and 3,313 photos

I can not talk about Algeria in general, I have only been to the zone of Djanet-Tamanrasset, so I'm going to talk about this area.

The Sahara dessert is a wonderfull place, contrary to I expected it's has a very big variety of landscapes: sand dunes, rocks, different types of desserts, gueltas (places with water where possibly, if you are lucky and it's not too dry you can have swim), mountains, hamadas, etc.
While doing kilometres with the 4x4 the landscape changes contantly showing you strengh of the nature.
Rocks are sculpted by the wind and the pass of the time and most of them decorated by the ancients with rupestre paintings.
There's not much tourism there, so it's difficult to find someone and places are virgin, without contamination and in it's natural state.

Look at carefully the rocks!

Look at them carefully, becuase unexpectedly you will find this paintings and grabures all around.
There are of different periods or time, but there are a lot very old (6.000-3.000 years).
There are also false ones, but your guide will tell you wich are the good ones.

• Last visit to Algeria: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2004

• Svillegas's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Hi etfromnc. Lol, maybe rupestre is just a Spanish word... sorry!!! pinturas rupestres are the ones made in the past, with blood and natural things, in caverns, rocks.... am I helping you??? Yes Algeria is wonderful!!!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
      Dec 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Good tips and photos .Argelia must be very nice and interesting
      P.s. Rupestre means cave painting

• Svillegas's Profile Photo
      Dec 17, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Ok, cave painting then! Thanks

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Thanks!! I hope to go to Algeria very soon and your comments should be very helpful. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "rupestre"?

• syed-arshad's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

your photo work on blog spot is Asolutely Mesmerism. South India awaits your footprints..... :)

• eternel2002's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Nice pages Sonia. wonderful pics and tips, I'm looking to visit the area one day when back to my home land .. good job :)

• Feb 24, 2006 at 4:10 PM

me gusta tu pagina sobre el sahara, muchisimas gracias !!!

• Jul 7, 2005 at 1:07 AM

Wonderful pages, I knew very well Algeria but only big cities, Thanks for your pictures, I can't wait to see the Desert for my next trip ! Loubna

• Hmmmm's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2004 at 5:27 AM

What a fabulous trip. you know I've always wanted top go there.. i will eventually. Great great page. How was security within Algeria? It was okay? Cheers for sharing. Aaron

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 9:02 PM

Great page, wonderful pictures ! I loved my stay in Tin Merzouga and Essendilene.

• edachsund's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 12:29 AM

Excellent! thanks for the tips. Now I knew what to expect in Algeria.

• GreenMtn.Man's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2003 at 1:39 PM

Good Three Tea's tip.

Svillegas

“Everywhere I go I leave a part of me”

Badges & Stats in Algeria

Have you been to Algeria?

Latest Activity in Algeria