"A land of contradictions" Homyel' by Alex_71

Homyel' Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 18 photos

Belarus or URSS?

First time for me in Belarus.A not so good trip by airplane,and when i arrived at Gomel airport,as first thing i saw..army. It seems to me as in Rocky IV when Sly land in Russia and army and kgb is there to wait for him.
I know,it's not a a very good first impression but,let's go forward.After the passport control i arrived in Gomel city.Well..i have to admit..not a city that i'll remember for the colours and for the light.The city is not so beautiful and the idea of being in Urss is still with you.
I went in Belarus 'couse with my gf,we take a child from Chernobyl area,so i had the chance to visit Gomel and to go around with Belarus people for giving medical and humanitarian aids. I have to admit..Gomel is not beautiful,to many army men around,too much corruption,but if someone ask me if i'll return back in Belarus,well the reply is yes,absolutely.Why? For the persons i meet:it's a not rich country,but people i met in the villages try to make me feel like a king.I was there to eat with them,and every time they prepared me things that they don't eat in a week.I was the "Italiansky"that gave help to their children.Well this thing is unforgettable..the thank you that you could read in the eyes,even if i don't speak a word of their language.You don't need to speak a language for understand this kind of things.In the same time,Belarus try to enter in Europe..are they ready? I don't think so.I don't wanna talk about politics here,but,one thing is for sure...there is no democracy there.People i visited around the Chernobyl area,lives tnx to the International red cross and no tnx to the government...so,are they really a new country,proud of being a new and indipendent country,or it's the last sovietic state?

• Last visit to Homyel': Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2006

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM

very nice considerations. Very interesting experience. But, if I may ask, how long did the child stay with you? r there communication problems..I mean..don't think he/she speak English... tnks for sharing your experience with us

Badges & Stats in Homyel'

Have you been to Homyel'?

Latest Activity in Homyel'

Photos in Homyel'