"What Is Michiana?" South Bend by Ischyros
South Bend Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 246 photos
One of the biggest reasons it has taken me so long to create a page about South Bend and the surrounding area was trying to decide how to do it, especially South Bend/Mishawaka. North central Indiana and southwestern lower Michigan is usually referred to as Michiana and almost considered one large community, especially the area surrounding South Bend, Mishawaka, Elkhart, Goshen, and the small communities just across the state line in Michigan. The areas are so integrated it can sometimes be hard to tell when you leave one city and enter another.
One issue I've wrestled with is the idea of shopping and dining. South Bend is the more well-known city and the largest city in the region; however, much of the shopping and dining options are next door in Mishawaka. Thus I believe what I will do is use South Bend to cover the entire Michiana area. I'll still build individual pages for other cities, such as Mishawaka and Elkhart, but they will have the same tips the South Bend page has. Think of it as a large metro area like Chicago. Would you build a seperate page for each of the hundreds of suburbs? Not likely, you'd place it all under Chicago. If any of this seems confusing, I apologize, but hopefully it will work!
Michiana is a region. As mentioned, the South Bend area is so vast and includes literally hundreds of thousands of people in many smaller cities and towns that it is often easier to just refer to the area as Michiana. The centerpiece of Michiana is the South Bend/Mishawaka metro area. These areas, combined with Granger and Osceola, occupy the entire northeastern quarter of St. Joseph county in Indiana. It spills right into Elkhart which takes up much of the northwestern part of Elkhart county and that in turn spills right into Goshen, which occupies the exact center of Elkhart county. Not to mention the fact that South Bend spills over the state line into Niles, Michigan, and you can see how it's hard to refer to the area by all the different city names. Michiana typically includes the counties immediately surrounding St. Joseph county, including the counties across the state line in Michigan.
From the National Weather Service, Last updated Tuesday August 1, 2006 6:00 PM EDT:
A Heat Advisory is in effect until 8PM EDT Wednesday night. Hot temperatures in the mid-90s combined with very high humidity will create heat index values of 105-110 degrees.
Tonight: Partly cloudy. Warm and muggy with a low around 78.
Wednesday: Partly cloudy and continued hot. High around 92. Heat index values around 100-105 degrees.
Wednesday night: Partly cloudy with a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Low around 71.
Thursday: Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. High around 83. Chance of rain 50%.
Thursday night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms early. Otherwise partly cloudy. Low around 63. Chance of rain 30%.
Friday: Partly cloudy. High around 82.
Saturday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s and lows in the lower 60s.
Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the middle 80s and lows in the lower 60s.
Monday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the middle 80s and lows in the lower 60s.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the middle 80s and lows in the middle 60s.
Normal High for Wednesday: 83
Normal Low for Wednesday: 63
Normal High for Thursday: 83
Normal Low for Thursday: 63
Sunrise Wednesday: 6:40 AM
Sunset Wednesday: 9:02 PM
For more information, vist the National Weather Service website
For a look at current webcams from Notre Dame, 2 miles from me Click Here
- Pros:Plenty of sports to watch
- Cons:High crime for the size of the city, very few cultural activities and festivals
- In a nutshell:Home to the University of Notre Dame
Set in the historic Studebaker Mansion in South Bend, the atmosphere at Tippecanoe Place is about as romantic as they... more travel advice
Between the Buns is a locally owned bar and grill with three locations around the South Bend area. The restaurant in... more travel advice
Ischyros' Related Pages
South Bend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "God, Country, Notre Dame"
- "South Bend, Indiana"
- "MY home town.. South Bend, IN :("
- "Golden Domers and Silver Hawks"
- "Notre Dame / South Bend"
- "River City On My Mind"
- "What Is Michiana?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Bend
- Hotels in South Bend
- Transportation in South Bend
- Nightlife in South Bend
- Restaurants in South Bend
- Shopping in South Bend
- Warnings and Dangers in South Bend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Bend
- 10 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to South Bend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Bend
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: visiting the SF area in mid..."
- updated a South Bend Travel Page "What Is Michiana?"
- Wrote a Review Michiana's Most Romantic Restaurant in South Bend Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "What Is Michiana?"
- Commented on one of meteorologist1's South Bend travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Orlando Intro, 15 reviews, 4 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Indiana Intro, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue