"Goshen - The Center of It All" Goshen by Ischyros
Goshen Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 18 photos
The Center Of It All, Goshen's motto refers mostly to its location in the center of Amish country. Having grown up in this city and spending 20-some years there, I know how much it has grown and yet somehow I've ended up back here after a several-year absense. During the late 80s and through the 90s Goshen experienced a major growth spurt that saw two Wal-Marts added and more recently, retailers such as Target, Kohls, Office Max, and Pier One Imports have found the city plus more restaurants such as Applebees, Buffalo Wild Wings, and soon to be an IHOP. But that doesn't mean Goshen has completely forgotten its roots. There are still many locally-owned shops downtown and in the Old Bag Factory, and many local or regional restaurants as well.
The growth spurt Goshen experienced is still being dealt with. Traffic is the biggest complaint you will hear. The town of 30,000 people has traffic that would clog roads in a city of 50,000+. But because the most congested roads are state highways, the blame can't be put entirely on Goshen. The state of Indiana has just been slow to realize what a pain it can be to traverse Goshen.
Goshen is also extremely ethically diverse. The most recent census (2000) revealed 26% of Goshen's residents are of hispanic origin. Thus there are many Spanish and Mexican stores and several Mexican resturants. The local movie theater even offers Jalapeno salt for popcorn.
- Pros:Still retains some of its smal town charm
- Cons:The city has grown way too fast for infastructure to keep up
- In a nutshell:A small city trapped in a small town's body
The Electric Brew in downtown Goshen opened in April 1996 and has become one of the most popular destinations in town... more travel advice
Dandino's has been in the Goshen area for as long as I can remember. Though the restaurant is nothing special, they must... more travel advice
Ischyros' Related Pages
Goshen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Elkhart County Seat"
- "Goshen - The Center of It All"
- "Goshen, Indiana"
- "Air Show"
- "What is there to do in Goshen?"
- "Center of Amish Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goshen
- Transportation in Goshen
- Nightlife in Goshen
- Restaurants in Goshen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Goshen
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Goshen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goshen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Orlando Intro, 15 reviews, 4 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Indiana Intro, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue