"Ischyros's Fort Wayne Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne by Ischyros

Fort Wayne Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 156 photos

Welcome to Fort Wayne, Indiana

Fort Wayne is Indiana's oldest and second-largest city with a population of about 230,000 people and dating back to it's founding on October 22, 1794. It is located at the confluence of the St. Joseph, St. Mary, and Maumee Rivers, thus everything in town is named Three Rivers. It is along Interstate 69 about 35-40 miles south of the Michigan state line and about 125 miles north of downtown Indianapolis. The city is located at an altitude of 790 feet and is mostly level. Daytime high temperatures (in Farenheit) range from the mid-80s in the summer to the upper 20s in the winter with overnight lows dropping into the 60s in summer and teens in the winter. However, it isn't uncommon to have hot humid days in the summer hit 90 or even 100 degrees, although that sort of heat rarely lasts more than a few days. And winter often seens overnight lows plummet below zero. Fort Wayne recieves about 35 inches of precipitation a year with most in the winter coming in the form of snow. About 32 inches of the white stuff blanket the city over the course of an entire winter.

History of Fort Wayne

In the early 1700s the Miami indians had a large village set up along the banks of the Maumee River in what is now the Lakeside area of Fort Wayne which they called Kekionga, meaning it was the most ancient of the Miami villages. In 1722, the first of five forts was built along the St. Mary's River near the site of the present-day Sherman Street Bridge.
As the American Revolution began in the late 1700s, the area became known back east as a breeding ground for "terrorism" and was called Miamitown. While several Indian tribes had their homes here alongside traders and French settlers, outlaws, bandits, and traitors also hid out in the woods around the area.
In 1750 another fort was built by the French near the present-day intersection of St. Joe Blvd and Delaware Ave.
With the outbreak of the French and Indian War in 1755, many French troops from Fort Miami and Indian allies living in the area were sent in to battle the British soldiers, but the Indian troops defeated them consistantly.
General George Washington then sent Revolutionary War hero General "Mad" Anthony Wayne to Miamitown. He calmed Indian hostilities and built the first American fort at what is today the northwest corner of Berry and Clay Streets. On October 22, 1794, the new fort was officially named Fort Wayne. This date has since been officially recognized as the birthdate of Fort Wayne.
None of the original forts remain today, but visitors can still visit a replica of the original Fort Wayne just north of downtown along Spy Run Avenue.

More Than Just Shopping

As a kid growing up in a small town about an hour away from Fort Wayne, the only reason we ever ventured here was once or twice a year to go shopping at the large Glenbrook Square. I never knew Fort Wayne offered anything more until I moved here. And it amazes me how little people seem to know about their own hometown. I was driving across town with a friend of mine who had grown up in the Fort one night and as we were driving through downtown, I pointed out that I often parked in Lawton Park and would stroll around the downtown area. I told how beautiful I thought it was and how much I enjoyed it and she replied that she didn't even know what all was downtown. I can't believe the people that would remark that there was nothing to do in Fort Wayne. There are top notch museums, a beautiful zoo, a great library, all kinds of family entertainment, sporting events, safe friendly clubs, plenty of local places to grab a good bite to eat. Maybe it takes an out-of-towner to point these things out, I don't know. I like where I live now, but I really miss Fort Wayne. It really is a great city.

• Pros:Plenty of parks, lots of shopping, lots of family entertainment
  • Cons:Traffic, traffic, traffic!
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful little big city!
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2006

• Jul 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Casa does offer salads with their dishes, just not the pasta dishes. Most of the meat dish items as well as lunch specials all include a Casa side salad at no extra charge.

• Jul 11, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Hey, just one quick update on this. Very recently they changed the legislation such that anyplace in doors is a no smoking area. Bars, strip clubs, etc, included. I believe it's about 20 feet from the building before you are allowed to smoke. Just an fyi.

• Mar 14, 2007 at 2:14 PM

It's actually the 39th year for Three Rivers

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Great to see another Hoosier on VT! Great stuff on Fort Wayne. We have spent a lot of time here and like it except for all of the one way streets downtown.

• Jul 24, 2006 at 6:34 AM

Food was sub par for the area. Too many better seafood places here. They are now out of business in Fort Wayne

• Mar 21, 2006 at 9:50 AM

Take away the hush puppies and the fries, and there's very little seafood to be had. A better bet is to head over to Decatur on Friday night for the all-you-can-eat crab legs and shrimp at The Back 40 Junction restaurant and buffet.

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Great page! Very interesting ! Thank you! K&T

• Mar 29, 2005 at 3:00 PM

I've not visited this place, but was actually told over the phone by the owner "I don't care if anyone comes here or not". I think it's a 501c3 TAX FRAUD, not a musuem!

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 10:05 PM

What a terrific page on an unknown (except to locals) gem of a town. You have made me want to make a visit.

• Bunnylbj's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2004 at 3:47 PM

You have a really nice page. I grew up in Ft. Wayne but moved to Florida - i dont think I ever knew what the city had to offer!

Ischyros

“Contrary to popular belief, I do know where I'm going sometimes.”

Badges & Stats in Fort Wayne

Have you been to Fort Wayne?

Friends