"Ischyros's Fort Wayne Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne by Ischyros
Fort Wayne Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 156 photos
Fort Wayne is Indiana's oldest and second-largest city with a population of about 230,000 people and dating back to it's founding on October 22, 1794. It is located at the confluence of the St. Joseph, St. Mary, and Maumee Rivers, thus everything in town is named Three Rivers. It is along Interstate 69 about 35-40 miles south of the Michigan state line and about 125 miles north of downtown Indianapolis. The city is located at an altitude of 790 feet and is mostly level. Daytime high temperatures (in Farenheit) range from the mid-80s in the summer to the upper 20s in the winter with overnight lows dropping into the 60s in summer and teens in the winter. However, it isn't uncommon to have hot humid days in the summer hit 90 or even 100 degrees, although that sort of heat rarely lasts more than a few days. And winter often seens overnight lows plummet below zero. Fort Wayne recieves about 35 inches of precipitation a year with most in the winter coming in the form of snow. About 32 inches of the white stuff blanket the city over the course of an entire winter.
In the early 1700s the Miami indians had a large village set up along the banks of the Maumee River in what is now the Lakeside area of Fort Wayne which they called Kekionga, meaning it was the most ancient of the Miami villages. In 1722, the first of five forts was built along the St. Mary's River near the site of the present-day Sherman Street Bridge.
As the American Revolution began in the late 1700s, the area became known back east as a breeding ground for "terrorism" and was called Miamitown. While several Indian tribes had their homes here alongside traders and French settlers, outlaws, bandits, and traitors also hid out in the woods around the area.
In 1750 another fort was built by the French near the present-day intersection of St. Joe Blvd and Delaware Ave.
With the outbreak of the French and Indian War in 1755, many French troops from Fort Miami and Indian allies living in the area were sent in to battle the British soldiers, but the Indian troops defeated them consistantly.
General George Washington then sent Revolutionary War hero General "Mad" Anthony Wayne to Miamitown. He calmed Indian hostilities and built the first American fort at what is today the northwest corner of Berry and Clay Streets. On October 22, 1794, the new fort was officially named Fort Wayne. This date has since been officially recognized as the birthdate of Fort Wayne.
None of the original forts remain today, but visitors can still visit a replica of the original Fort Wayne just north of downtown along Spy Run Avenue.
As a kid growing up in a small town about an hour away from Fort Wayne, the only reason we ever ventured here was once or twice a year to go shopping at the large Glenbrook Square. I never knew Fort Wayne offered anything more until I moved here. And it amazes me how little people seem to know about their own hometown. I was driving across town with a friend of mine who had grown up in the Fort one night and as we were driving through downtown, I pointed out that I often parked in Lawton Park and would stroll around the downtown area. I told how beautiful I thought it was and how much I enjoyed it and she replied that she didn't even know what all was downtown. I can't believe the people that would remark that there was nothing to do in Fort Wayne. There are top notch museums, a beautiful zoo, a great library, all kinds of family entertainment, sporting events, safe friendly clubs, plenty of local places to grab a good bite to eat. Maybe it takes an out-of-towner to point these things out, I don't know. I like where I live now, but I really miss Fort Wayne. It really is a great city.
- Pros:Plenty of parks, lots of shopping, lots of family entertainment
- Cons:Traffic, traffic, traffic!
- In a nutshell:A beautiful little big city!
I'm not into skateboarding, but I know many people are so I figured I'd add this in as well. If you love to skateboard,... more travel advice
Fort Wayne is a party town. Almost every weekend in the summer there is some kind of festival going on in town! If you... more travel advice
- See All Columbia Street West
- See All Fort Wayne Freedom
- See All Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
- See All Something For Everyone!
Ischyros' Related Pages
Fort Wayne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ischyros's Fort Wayne Page"
- "Fort Wayne, The summit City"
- "Founded on the Rivers."
- "The Ol' Fort"
- "Indiana's 2nd Largest City"
- "The Summit City (?)"
- "Summit City Sylin'!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Wayne
- Hotels in Fort Wayne
- Transportation in Fort Wayne
- Nightlife in Fort Wayne
- Restaurants in Fort Wayne
- Shopping in Fort Wayne
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Wayne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Wayne
- 48 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Fort Wayne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Wayne
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: visiting the SF area in mid..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Lincoln Museum"
- updated a Fort Wayne Travel Page "Ischyros's Fort Wayne Page"
- Wrote a Review Blue Lion Coffee House in Fort Wayne Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of grkboiler's Fort Wayne travel pages
Photos in Fort WayneSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Orlando Intro, 15 reviews, 4 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Indiana Intro, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Fort Wayne hotel reviews
- Residence Inn Fort Wayne
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Don Hall's Guesthouse
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Econo Lodge
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Clarion Hotel Fort Wayne
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hampton Inn and Suites Fort Wayne North
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Value Place Fort Wayne
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hallmark Inn Fort Wayne
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2011
- Hilton Fort Wayne Convention Center
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Relax Inn & Suites Fort Wayne
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2012
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Fort Wayne
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Best Western Luxbury Inn Fort Wayne
- 194 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Travelodge Fort Wayne
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2012
- Marriott Fort Wayne
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013