"Walt Disney World" Orlando by Ischyros
Orlando Travel Guide: 3,096 reviews and 5,870 photos
This page is long in the making but it's slowly getting there! I promise! My goal is to have info about every ride, every hotel, every restaurant in Disney World. I'm a huge Disney fanatic. If you have a question, please ask me! If I don't know the answer, I guarantee I can find it out in 48 hours or less!
Is there any more magical, manmade place on Earth than Disney World?I am a Disney World fanatic! I keep up on the place and loving seeing pictures and sharing stories. I just wish I could go more often!
Disney World came to be in Florida thanks to beer and commercialism. Sound strange? After Disneyland opened in California in 1955, restaurants, hotels, and small businesses hocking Disneyland souvenirs sprang up around the perimeter of the park. Walt Disney hated this. He wanted a large buffer zone between his fantasy world and the real world. While people were in his park, he wanted them to forget the outside world even existed. He wanted all their troubles to be gone for the day they were there.
Walt also wanted complete control over everything. He had so many hassles with the Anaheim city government. He wanted a fresh, clean, large area of undeveloped land on which he could build anything he wanted and not have any interference.
His first choice was St. Louis, close to his hometown. But when he learned Budweiser was going to force him to sell alcohol in his park, he left St. Louis. He was flying over central Florida one day when he spotted a small island in the middle of a swampy pond surrounded by nothing as far as he could see. He fell in love immediately.
Today that island is known as Discovery Island, although it's been closed since Animal Kingdom opened. Walt secretly bought up over 43 square miles of land southwest of the small city of Orlando and soon went to work constucting what would become the Magic Kingdom. Walt wouldn't live to see his dream come to completion. In fact, the place was originally just Disney World. His brother Roy added Walt to the name after Walt's death so people would know it was his brother's dream and not his.
Disney World today consists of 4 theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom), three water parks (River Country, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach), several golf courses, over 25 resort hotels, a giant sports complex, and large shopping and entertainment complex.
- Pros:All the theme parks can keep you busy for weeks!
- Cons:Lots and lots of people, traffic jams, high heat and humidity in the summer, thunderstorms, hurricanes, very expensive....
I have to highly recommend if you are spending most of your time at Disney World, stay at a Disney resort! It really... more travel advice
There are two of these chain restaurants at Disney World. One located at the base of a smoldering volcano in the Disney... more travel advice
Ischyros' Related Pages
Orlando Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
- "orlando florida"
- "take it from a local..."
- ""When You Wish Upon a Star.....""
- "Orlando, Florida"
- "Disney and Universal Studios"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orlando
- Hotels in Orlando
- Transportation in Orlando
- Nightlife in Orlando
- Restaurants in Orlando
- Shopping in Orlando
- Warnings and Dangers in Orlando
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orlando
- 15 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Orlando?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orlando
Photos in OrlandoSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Orlando Intro, 15 reviews, 4 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Indiana Intro, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Orlando hotel reviews
- Hilton Garden Inn Lake Buena Vista/Orlando
- 240 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hampton Inn Orlando - Florida Mall
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Ambassador Hotel Orlando
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 8, 2013
- Baymont Inn & Suites Universal Studios Orlando
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Renaissance Orlando Airport
- 351 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- SilverLeaf Suites
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jul 14, 2003
- Hampton Inn Orlando-Lake Buena Vista
- 917 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Crestwood Suites Of Disney Orlando
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Upscale Orlando Mystery Resort Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 5, 2012
- Extended Stay Deluxe Maitland
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Orlando East
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Orlando Airport
- 201 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Palace Hotel and Resorts Orlando
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 21, 2013
- Sleep Inn And Suites Orlando Airport
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Orlando Airport
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013