Erzgebirge Sports & Outdoors Tips by german_eagle
Erzgebirge Sports & Outdoors: 5 reviews and 5 photos
skiing area Oberwiesenthal - Mt. Fichtelberg
Although the Erzgebirge mountains are pretty small compared to the Alps there are quite some skilifts in several towns. None of those qualifies to be called "ski resort" - with one exception: Oberwiesenthal.
This town offers very good downhill runs, with a maximum elevation difference of 303 m and a length of 2 km. All in all there are about 15 km of groomed ski runs, very snow reliable (900 - 1200 m elevation, plus man made snow). You can choose from all types of runs: easy, intermediate, and also for experts.
They have 1 cable car, 3 chair-lifts and several skilifts.
Night skiing is offered during weekends and school holidays.
Equipment: Bring your own or rent, no problem.
groomed xcountry tracks
Due to the elevation Oberwiesenthal and especially Mt. Fichtelberg offer the best snow conditions - which is great even for the xcountry skiers.
Groomed tracks start right at the cable car, at the town's edge. But you better take the cable car up to Mt. Fichtelberg and start there, it's easier :-)
About 75 km of xcountry tracks are prepared: the longest route is the one to Tellerhäuser, a small village west of Oberwiesenthal - it is my favourite track. You also can cross the border to the Czech Republic and continue to Bozi Dar or Mt. Klinovec.
Equipment: Bring your own, or rent in one of the ski shops in town. No problem except during school holidays.
Geising hill (824 m)
If you are not into skiing/x-country skiing or so - what about hiking/walking in winter? The Erzgebirge offers unlimited options. Paths are usually perfectly groomed (except after heavy snow fall).
As a result of its special topography (the large plateaux) paths often have only moderate altitude difference. You can stay close to the villages/towns but experience serenity. Vast forests alternate with large pastures offering beautiful views.
Or you decide for a longer hike and visit one of the mountain tops, often with cosy, charming inns/restaurants.
Equipment: Bring good hiking boots. A map is essential, although paths are well marked and directions are signposted.
Groomed cross-country track
Due to its topography (see intro) the Erzgebirge is heaven for cross-country skiers. Hundreds of km of tracks are well groomed day by day. My favourite areas are the Eastern Erzgebirge around Altenberg and the Western Erzgebirge around Carlsfeld/Johanngeorgenstadt.
Several events for both amateurs and professionals take place during winter.
Best time is January/February. But since the Erzgebirge is located quite far in Germany's East (and elevation higher than 800 m) it usually has a higher snow reliability than the Western mid-range mountains in Germany. For example, during the last two years there was always enough snow for cross-country skiing from Christmas to late March.
Equipment: Bring your own or rent somewhere. You'll find rental stations everywhere in the Erzgebirge towns/villages. During school holidays in February you better make reservations in advance for rental equipment.
Directions: Altenberg-Zinnwald-Rehefeld-Schellerhau or
Mühlleiten - Carlsfeld - Johanngeorgenstadt (Kammloipe)
Other Contact: www.kammloipe.de
More Reviews (21)
- See All Schlettau with castle
- See All Erzgebirgsbahn
- See All "Zum Schlossberg" Wolkenstein
- High above everyday life
german_eagle's Related Pages
Erzgebirge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains)"
- "Welcome to the ORE MOUNTAINS (ERZGEBIRGE)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erzgebirge
- Hotels in Erzgebirge
- Transportation in Erzgebirge
- Restaurants in Erzgebirge
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Erzgebirge
- 25 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Erzgebirge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erzgebirge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 160 reviews, 684 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues