"Freiberg in Saxony" Freiberg by german_eagle
Freiberg Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 338 photos
Freiberg in Saxony (not Freiburg im Breisgau!) is located at the foot of the Erzgebirge mountains, in short distance to Dresden. Population is almost 50'000.
First settlements in the area are proved for the year 1156, but the first time the name "Freiberg" appears is in 1202. As the legend says, silver was found in the area in 1168 which caused a boom in the development of the town. The mining industry was base for the wealth of the state Saxony, and of course some of that remained in Freiberg itself.
While strolling through the charming old town you will see plenty of interesting townhouses, built in past centuries - Renaissance and Baroque style mostly. Highlights are the cathedral and the Obermarkt square.
Although mining works were finished in 1969 Freiberg is still a worldwide centre of geo-sciences.
The "Bergakademie" (mountain school) was founded in 1765 and thus the first in the world. Since 1992 the Bergakademie is a university. About 2400 students from more than 60 countries make Freiberg a surprisingly lively city with internation flair.
Second Sunday in September is European Heritage Day. This means you can see the interior of buildings that are closed... more travel advice
Yes, right in the middle of Freiberg, in Germany there is a place where you can have Czech food, beer and wine. They... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Freiberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freiberg in Saxony"
- "My First Visit to Freiberg in 2008"
- "Freiberg / Saxony"
- "Freiberg, sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Snowy Freiberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freiberg
- Hotels in Freiberg
- Transportation in Freiberg
- Nightlife in Freiberg
- Restaurants in Freiberg
- Shopping in Freiberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freiberg
- 33 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Freiberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freiberg
Photos in FreibergSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 160 reviews, 684 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues