"Freiberg in Saxony" Freiberg by german_eagle
Freiberg Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 492 photos
Freiberg in Saxony (not Freiburg im Breisgau!) is located at the foot of the Erzgebirge mountains, in short distance to Dresden. Population is almost 50'000.
First settlements in the area are proved for the year 1156, but the first time the name "Freiberg" appears is in 1202. As the legend says, silver was found in the area in 1168 which caused a boom in the development of the town. The mining industry was base for the wealth of the state Saxony, and of course some of that remained in Freiberg itself.
While strolling through the charming old town you will see plenty of interesting townhouses, built in past centuries - Renaissance and Baroque style mostly. Highlights are the cathedral and the Obermarkt square.
Although mining works were finished in 1969 Freiberg is still a worldwide centre of geo-sciences.
The "Bergakademie" (mountain school) was founded in 1765 and thus the first in the world. Since 1992 the Bergakademie is a university. About 2400 students from more than 60 countries make Freiberg a surprisingly lively city with internation flair.
This restaurant is relatively new, it opened in a townhouse next to Nikolai church, vis-a-vis from the theatre. The... more travel advice
Since 2013 an ice rink is set up in the courtyard of Schloss Freudenstein in November, lasting until end of February. At... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Freiberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freiberg in Saxony"
- "Freiberg, Always Snowy?"
- "Freiberg / Saxony"
- "Freiberg, sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Snowy Freiberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freiberg
- Hotels in Freiberg
- Transportation in Freiberg
- Nightlife in Freiberg
- Restaurants in Freiberg
- Shopping in Freiberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freiberg
- 53 Reviews
- 273 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Freiberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freiberg
Photos in FreibergSee All Photos (273)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 825 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 48 reviews, 263 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos