"Freiberg in Saxony" Freiberg by german_eagle
Freiberg Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 486 photos
Freiberg in Saxony (not Freiburg im Breisgau!) is located at the foot of the Erzgebirge mountains, in short distance to Dresden. Population is almost 50'000.
First settlements in the area are proved for the year 1156, but the first time the name "Freiberg" appears is in 1202. As the legend says, silver was found in the area in 1168 which caused a boom in the development of the town. The mining industry was base for the wealth of the state Saxony, and of course some of that remained in Freiberg itself.
While strolling through the charming old town you will see plenty of interesting townhouses, built in past centuries - Renaissance and Baroque style mostly. Highlights are the cathedral and the Obermarkt square.
Although mining works were finished in 1969 Freiberg is still a worldwide centre of geo-sciences.
The "Bergakademie" (mountain school) was founded in 1765 and thus the first in the world. Since 1992 the Bergakademie is a university. About 2400 students from more than 60 countries make Freiberg a surprisingly lively city with internation flair.
Want to go swimming? Sauna anyone? Freiberg has a very good public bath and wellness/spa just outside the old town (5... more travel advice
There is no shortage of famous people who either visited Freiberg for a short time or lived/worked there for a longer... more travel advice
- See All Schloss Freudenstein - Bergarchiv
- See All Deutsches Haus
- See All City buses
- See All European Heritage Day
german_eagle's Related Pages
Freiberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freiberg in Saxony"
- "Freiberg, Always Snowy?"
- "Freiberg / Saxony"
- "Freiberg, sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Snowy Freiberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freiberg
- Hotels in Freiberg
- Transportation in Freiberg
- Nightlife in Freiberg
- Restaurants in Freiberg
- Shopping in Freiberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freiberg
- 52 Reviews
- 268 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Freiberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freiberg
- Posted in Travel Land Baden-Württemberg Forum "Re: 4 days in Baden-Wurttemberg"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Freiberg travelogues
- Uploaded a Photo to "cookies etc."
- Wrote a Review Johannisbad in Freiberg Sports & Outdoors
- created a Freiberg Travelogue "City museum, part two"
- Uploaded a Video to Freiberg
Photos in FreibergSee All Photos (268)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 346 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 248 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Kamenz Intro, 40 reviews, 233 photos, 7 travelogues