"A Lesson In Architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz by german_eagle
Görlitz Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 959 photos
Görlitz is a still widely unknown jewel. The city looks back on a history of almost 1000 years.
The city centre is a picture book of architecture from medieval to modern times. The oldest houses were built in Gothic style, but you find numerous examples of Renaissance and Baroque architecture as well. In addition Görlitz owns one of the largest "Gründerzeit" quarters of Germany. Excellent samples of Jugendstil decorated houses mix up with Historism (Neorenaissance etc.) style buildings.
The best thing is Görlitz was not destroyed in WWII. All these wonderful houses, however, were in bad condition when the wall came down. Soon the administration recognised the importance of this unique architectural ensemble and provided great help (both money and know-how) for restoration.
The process of restoration is not finished yet. But from the pictures you can see that a huge part of the work is already done.
Beside the magnificent architecture in the town you should not miss the beautiful countryside and other sights in the surrounding. Görlitz itself provides nice gardens for recreation, and the Upper Lausitz hills and the Zittau mountains are not far away.
The quaint villages with their "Umgebindehäuser" (a sort of half-timbered houses) in the surrounding are always worth a visit.
When the city authorities planned the redesign of the pedestrian zone and shopping mile Berliner zone, they commissioned... more travel advice
The name says it all: The location is the big draw. This cafe is on the pedestrian shopping street Berliner Straße, half... more travel advice
- See All Organic grocery
- See All Zoo
- Youth hostel
- See All Tag der offenen Sanierungstür
german_eagle's Related Pages
Görlitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lesson In Architecture"
- "Gorlitz - on the way to somewhere"
- "The most eastern city in Germany"
- "Welcome to Görlitz"
- "On Finding Gems Unplanned: Görlitz"
- "Görlitz - A Forgotten Jewel"
- "A wonderful weekend in Goerlitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Görlitz
- Hotels in Görlitz
- Transportation in Görlitz
- Nightlife in Görlitz
- Restaurants in Görlitz
- Shopping in Görlitz
- Warnings and Dangers in Görlitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Görlitz
- 65 Reviews
- 280 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Görlitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Görlitz
Photos in GörlitzSee All Photos (280)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 345 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 205 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues