"Green America" Woodstock by german_eagle
Woodstock Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 47 photos
Woodstock is to me quintessential Vermont, but with an upscale touch. Or maybe more than just a touch - everything *is* upscale here. The town is located in a lovely valley between the Green Mountains and the border to New Hampshire in central Vermont. With a population of about 3,200 it has the right size for a place to spend a few days on vacation - you'll find everything from great lodging, superb restaurants, shops, museums etc.
Be prepared that the main road going through the town, US 4, is quite busy. Vermont doesn't have a lot of East-West connecting roads and this is one of them.
The town looks back at a history of about 250 years. As the highly dignified seat of Windsor County since 1766 it prospered well. People built many grand houses, especially around the town's common.
The town is still wealthy nowadays and it shows. The Rockefellers and the Rothschilds own estates in Woodstock and the surrounding countryside.
We visited Woodstock in early October 2007. The foliage was not in full swing yet, but it was a good start. I'd characterize the landscape as rolling hills - no frightening mountains, no endless flat ground either. Lovely. I wish we'd had one or two more days there; two nights was definitely not enough.
This NHP focuses on teh relationship between land stewardship and environmental conservation. About 20 miles of trails... more travel advice
Now this one is really a tourist trap. Sheesh! It's basically a glass and pottery manufacture. They have demonstrations... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Woodstock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Green America"
- "The Prettiest Small Town in America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Woodstock
- Hotels in Woodstock
- Restaurants in Woodstock
- Shopping in Woodstock
- See All...
Explore the World
- Key West National Wildlife Refuge
- Monte Castelli Hotels
- Midland Hotels
- Roznov pod Radhostem
- Province of Albay Hotels
- North Sydney
- Mid-Ennerdale Hotels
- Departamento de Cusco
- Ash Hollow State Historical Park
- Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Venice Beach Hotels
- Paulo Hotels
- Paredes de Coura
Badges & Stats in Woodstock
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Woodstock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woodstock
- Posted in Travel Brienz Forum "Re: Best Place to stay"
- Commented on one of nicolaitan's Woodstock travel pages
- Wrote a Review Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Hist. Park in Woodstock Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Hist. Park"
- updated a Woodstock Travel Page "Green America"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 160 reviews, 684 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Woodstock hotel reviews
- The Woodstock Inn and Resort
- 373 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Jackson House Inn
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- Village Inn of Woodstock
- 279 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Woodstock Inn And Resort
- 372 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Deer Brook Inn
- 406 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Woodstocker Inn
- 492 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013