"Green America" Woodstock by german_eagle
Woodstock Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 50 photos
Woodstock is to me quintessential Vermont, but with an upscale touch. Or maybe more than just a touch - everything *is* upscale here. The town is located in a lovely valley between the Green Mountains and the border to New Hampshire in central Vermont. With a population of about 3,200 it has the right size for a place to spend a few days on vacation - you'll find everything from great lodging, superb restaurants, shops, museums etc.
Be prepared that the main road going through the town, US 4, is quite busy. Vermont doesn't have a lot of East-West connecting roads and this is one of them.
The town looks back at a history of about 250 years. As the highly dignified seat of Windsor County since 1766 it prospered well. People built many grand houses, especially around the town's common.
The town is still wealthy nowadays and it shows. The Rockefellers and the Rothschilds own estates in Woodstock and the surrounding countryside.
We visited Woodstock in early October 2007. The foliage was not in full swing yet, but it was a good start. I'd characterize the landscape as rolling hills - no frightening mountains, no endless flat ground either. Lovely. I wish we'd had one or two more days there; two nights was definitely not enough.
This NHP focuses on teh relationship between land stewardship and environmental conservation. About 20 miles of trails... more travel advice
Now this one is really a tourist trap. Sheesh! It's basically a glass and pottery manufacture. They have demonstrations... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Woodstock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Green America"
- "The Prettiest Small Town in America"
- "Basaic Woodstock Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Woodstock
- Hotels in Woodstock
- Restaurants in Woodstock
- Shopping in Woodstock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woodstock
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Woodstock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woodstock
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Features Today!"
- updated a Woodstock Travel Page "Green America"
- Commented on one of nicolaitan's Woodstock travel pages
- Wrote a Review Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Hist. Park in Woodstock Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Hist. Park"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 825 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 48 reviews, 263 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos