"Hohnstein" Hohnstein by german_eagle
Hohnstein Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 114 photos
Hohnstein was first mentioned in 1333. It is one of the smallest towns in Saxony, pop. about 4,000 but that includes nearby villages which are part of the municipality. It is a picturesque town with many old timber-framed houses. A stroll along the narrow cobbled alleys is highly recommended. Due to its very nice setting on a rocky plateau above a narrow valley the views from several places in and around the town are very beautiful.
Hohnstein is also a good base for hikes as it is located close to the National Park Saxon Switzerland. Small hotels/B&Bs, rental apartments and restaurants cater to families, nature lovers, nothing is glitzy or overrun here.
The two architectural/historic highlights of the town are the castle and the church, see the tips.
Unlike other towns/villages in the National Park region Hohnstein is well worth a visit in winter, too. It gets some inches fresh snow from time to time and turns into winter-wonderland. While there's no winter sports in the traditional meaning around Hohnstein, you can do pleasant walks in the forests surrounding the town. See the picture!
I mentioned that the town Hohnstein sits high above the quite deep valley of the small Polenz river, which has its... more travel advice
Another picturesque village that is part of the municipality Hohnstein, is Goßdorf - the neighbour of Waitzdorf,... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Hohnstein Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hohnstein
- 14 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Hohnstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hohnstein
Photos in HohnsteinSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 346 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 250 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos