"History and Business" Top 5 Page for this destination Hartford by german_eagle

Hartford Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 230 photos

Connecticut might not be on the list of most visitors for a first visit to the U. S. A. - they don't know what they miss! Our main reason for spending time in Connecticut was that we have friends there. They invited us to stay with them which we gratefully accepted. We had a great time in Connecticut exploring a bit of the state, not to mention the unique experience of staying with friends who are locals.

Since our friends live close to the state's capital city, Hartford, we saw mostly this region of Connecticut, did a day trip to the Berkshires in MA and did another day trip to visit other friends in the Litchfield hills. Can you say we were quite busy? LOL

Connecticut doesn't offer any spectacular scenery as the Western U.S., not even mountains like New Hampshire, but it is lovely. From seacoast to rolling hills, farmlands, beautiful forests, cute villages and small towns. Of course it was the perfect time to visit: fall. Not that the foliage was on peak yet, but still, the weather was very pleasant.

Hartford itself was quite a surprise. It is not too big (says one who had left New York the day before) with a population of 124,000. It has some very interesting sights to offer and we couldn't even see all that we wished to. I I learned that a lot of early U.S. history had happened in Connecticut.

• Last visit to Hartford: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Great page. I didn't know that you can pass cars on any lane in the USA. The wire frame on the school buses seems to be an odd invention. Always taking the car instead of walking is definitely not my kind of thing, but I could live with a corn on the cob.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Musste mir diese Seite jetzt doch endlich mal ansehen... Ich schließe mich Sonjas Frage an, wo ist der Kürbis??

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Too bad your friends live in a sprawly area with no sidewalks! There are lots of such places in America, but some mayors have started building sidewalks and bike trails. I used to have relatives in Connecticut and I agree it's a worthwhile state to visit.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 8:14 AM

And where is the picture of you with the giant pumpkin ;))? Great tips!

Badges & Stats in Hartford

Have you been to Hartford?

Latest Activity in Hartford