"Konstanz - beautiful setting and charming old town" Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz by german_eagle
Konstanz Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 809 photos
In summer 2010 I spent a couple of days in Konstanz on business (seminar). Fortunately I had quite a lot of time to explore the city and the surroundings. The weather did not really co-operate, though - it rained quite often.
Konstanz is located right where the Rhine river leaves the lake of the city's name (or Bodensee in German). This makes for a beautiful setting with the old town on the left bank of the Rhine and the other parts of the city on the right bank spread over the hillsides.
The city has the right size (pop. 80'000) to keep you busy for a couple of days. The old town is quite lively, there are enough restaurants, cafes, pubs and shops there. As there is a university in town there are also enough students/younger folks - also from outside Germany - to make life in Konstanz somewhat more international and vibrant than usual for a city of this size.
The old town is really 'old' - many townhouses keep substance of the medieval times, not to mention the ancient Romans who settled there, too.
Konstanz is a transportation hub. Not only does it have railway connections to anywhere in southern Germany but it is also well connected with the Swiss railway system (direct trains to Zürich e.g.) - no surprise there, it's right on the Swiss border.
Naturally the lake plays an important part in daily life in Konstanz. Ferries leave to the other places around the lake, down the Rhine river and for cruises. People enjoy walking along the harbour front with restaurants, cafes, while watching the ships. And in the distance you might see the snow capped Swiss Alps if the weather co-operates.
Life can be very good in Konstanz!
Konstanz has a very modern, excellent thermal pool and spa. The large indoor and outdoor pools aside there are jacuzzis... more travel advice
The centre of Petershausen is the area around St. Gebhardt square. This is totally off the beaten path for tourists,... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Konstanz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Konstanz - Old Town Surprise"
- "Konstanz - beautiful setting and charming old town"
- "KONSTANZ (Constance)"
- "South Germany"
- "Welcome to my hometown Konstanz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Konstanz
- Hotels in Konstanz
- Transportation in Konstanz
- Nightlife in Konstanz
- Restaurants in Konstanz
- Shopping in Konstanz
- Warnings and Dangers in Konstanz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Konstanz
- 37 Reviews
- 157 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Konstanz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Konstanz
Photos in KonstanzSee All Photos (157)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 161 reviews, 688 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Konstanz hotel reviews
- Kloster Hegne
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jun 23, 2008
- Graf Zeppelin
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 19, 2013
- Gastehaus Centro
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Golden Tulip Halm Konstanz
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Ringhotel Schiff Am See
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Steigenberger Inselhotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Stadthotel Konstanz
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Hotel Bilger Eck
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Hotel Petershof
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013