"Berner Alpen - picture book Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Berner Alpen by german_eagle
Berner Alpen Travel Guide: 152 reviews and 657 photos
The Bernese Alps offer some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in Europe. The most popular part of them is located in the canton Bern, the canton Valais holds another share of the Bernese Alps - on the southern side of the main crest, which is - seen from northern Europe - not accessible as easy as the northern side. The tallest peaks are situated in the eastern Bernese Alps and reach 4274 m (Finsteraarhorn).
The Bernese Alps, more exactly the Jungfrau region around Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, are considered to be the birthplace of tourism in the Alps. Albrecht von Haller wrote his poem "Die Alpen" in 1732. People all over the continent read his work and travelled to this region soon after.
Tourism is in my opinion blessing and curse, which can be observed in this area very well. Thank god the area is not overdeveloped as other tourism destinations but still, you can see the prospering towns and villages as well as the negative results here. The region is obviously well off, the public transportation system is excellent with trains, buses and cable cars serving remotest valleys, but comparing to visits in the 1990s my most recent stay in Wengen was an eye-opener: former pastures in the centre of the village were overbuilt, hotels turned into apartment blocks.
According to the title this page is about the whole Bernese Alps - but you'll find that most information is about the Jungfrau region, from Interlaken up into the mountains. A few places outside this area are listed as well, but for detailed info on Adelboden, Spiez and Thun and its lake please go to the respective pages.
Most of my trips to the Jungfrau region were take before the digital photography era. Thus please bear with me - I need to scan the few worthy pictures before using them in tips and that takes a lot of time. Also, information from that era might be outdated by now so I am not sure whether to post these tips (hotel review e.g.) or not.
Unlike on most of my other pages you'll hardly find tips on architectural sights here. Sure, there *are* interesting churches, castles, museums etc. but somehow I managed to concentrate on the landscape instead on the towns - which is understandable once you see the pictures of the gorgeous mountains. Look for tips on hikes under "Sports Travel", the viewing points/mountain destinations alone are described under "Things To Do" or "Off The Beaten Path".
Erlenbach, the main place in the lower Simmental valley, is a very beautiful village with a parish church that is well... more travel advice
This cute little village enjoys a sunny setting on the northeastern shore of Lake Thun, protected from cold winds by the... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Berner Alpen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berner Alpen - The heart of Switzerland"
- "Berner Alpen - picture book Switzerland"
- "Bernese Oberland Mountains"
- "Lauchernalp - Lötschental"
- "Grandmother's Walk"
- "JUNGFRAU JOURNEY"
- "Bernese Oberland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berner Alpen
- Hotels in Berner Alpen
- Transportation in Berner Alpen
- Restaurants in Berner Alpen
- Warnings and Dangers in Berner Alpen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berner Alpen
- 17 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Berner Alpen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berner Alpen
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: hiking in ticino "
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Berner Alpen travel pages
- Wrote a Review Parish church Erlenbach in Berner Alpen Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Parish church Erlenbach"
- updated a Berner Alpen Travel Page "Berner Alpen - picture book Switzerland"
Photos in Berner AlpenSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 193 reviews, 811 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 346 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues