"Poschiavo - Italianita in Switzerland" Poschiavo by german_eagle
Poschiavo Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 140 photos
Poschiavo is a small town in the Italian speaking valley of the same name in southern Graubünden. The population of the town is about 3,500. The valley stretches from the High Alps - Bernina pass and Peak Palü (3,905 m) down to Tirano in Italy where palm trees grow (425 m).
The whole valley is mostly overlooked by tourists. If it wasn't for the famous Bernina train route that goes straight through the Poschiavo valley connecting St. Moritz (Engadine) and Tirano (Valtellina) then it probably wouldn't be on the tourist map at all. The advantage is that you can find a mostly unspoiled, original valley with gorgeous landscape and beautiful small towns.
Poschiavo itself has a lot to offer. After a horrible flood on 18th July 1987 the whole centro storico (borgo) was thoroughly restored and presents one of the most charming and authentic townscapes in (not only) Southern Switzerland.
The rest of the valley is not to be ignored, either, for the tourist looking for unspoiled, rural landscape and mountains. No technical installations for skiing here, no cable cars/gondolas, hardly any asphalt roads to Alps, mountain huts or so as often in Austria or Germany. It's a hiker's paradise. The lake offers recreation after long hikes or sightseeing.
I have been about a half dozen times to the Poschiavo valley but only on my most recent visit in 2011 I explicitly went to the town for exploring the sights in detail. The other visits were for hiking and riding the Bernina train.
I hope you enjoy this page on a fairly unknown but most charming place in Switzerland.
This is another hike that I've done some years ago, thus no pictures taken right then. Instead you see pictures of the... more travel advice
One of my favourite hikes of all time! This valley is not overrun with hikers at all due to its relatively remote... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Poschiavo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Poschiavo - gateway to the south"
- "Poschiavo - Italianita in Switzerland"
- "Checking out where the ancestors came from"
- "St. Moritz to Poschiavo via the Bernina Express"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poschiavo
- Hotels in Poschiavo
- Transportation in Poschiavo
- Restaurants in Poschiavo
- Shopping in Poschiavo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poschiavo
- 20 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Poschiavo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poschiavo
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Hiking in Ticino"
- Wrote a Review Hiking: Ospizio Bernina - Alp Grüm in Poschiavo Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking: Ospizio Bernina - Alp Grüm"
- created a Poschiavo Travel Page "Poschiavo - Italianita in Switzerland"
- Commented on one of yumyum's Poschiavo travel pages
Photos in PoschiavoSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 194 reviews, 814 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 347 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues