"St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz by german_eagle
Saint Moritz Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 546 photos
The Engadine Valley is my No. 1 place in my favourite country Switzerland. I use(d) to travel this beautiful region in both summer and winter. Late June/early July and late Sept/early Oct are the best times for a summer visit. For a winter holiday you should go in January (though cold) or mid March - early April (yeah!).
For information about the Lower Engadine Valley see my Scuol page.
****This page is undergoing a major update****
This page is about the Upper Engadine Valley with its major place St. Moritz. You will find a lot of information about the surrounding areas, but only relatively few about St. Moritz itself. The reason is that St. Moritz is quite an overbuilt resort with the usual problems: crowded, noisy, expensive. That does not mean that you cannot spend great holidays there: the quality of service, accommodation, food ... is top. The point is, however, that the neighbouring small towns and villages are much quieter, pleasant, more beautiful - and the better is the enemy of the good :-) So, if you ever find a bargain for a four or five star hotel in St. Moritz, don't hesitate to book!
The natural beauty of the Engadine is hard to beat. The combination of large lakes, embedded in a wide open valley with huge snow capped mountains towering up is breathtaking. Lush, green side valleys, white glaciers and the blue sky offer a fascinating contrast. Nature aside, the Engadine profits from its Romansch culture/language as well as of the neighbouring Italian speaking valleys. The local architecture is different (but also beautiful) from what you might expect in Switzerland - white stone houses with sgraffito facades mostly. And don't miss side trips to the lesser known Poschiavo and Breagaglia valleys in the neighbourhood!
This Baroque church right in the centre of Samedan is not to mix up with the older ref. church St. Peter higher up. With... more travel advice
This church is not to overlook. It stands on a hill right in the middle of the valley, at the widest part, between... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Saint Moritz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley"
- "A strange town with a great surrounding"
- "A great small town"
- "The very expensive but popular ski-resort"
- "St Moritz"
- "Day Trip"
- "The Swiss Bubble"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Moritz
- Hotels in Saint Moritz
- Transportation in Saint Moritz
- Restaurants in Saint Moritz
- Shopping in Saint Moritz
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Moritz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Moritz
- 56 Reviews
- 268 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Saint Moritz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Moritz
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Jungfraujoch and Mt. Titlis"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Saint Moritz tips
- Wrote a Review Samedan Ref. parish church in Saint Moritz Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Samedan Ref. parish church"
- updated a Saint Moritz Travel Page "St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley"
Photos in Saint MoritzSee All Photos (268)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 194 reviews, 814 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 347 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues