"St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz by german_eagle

Saint Moritz Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 402 photos

Allegra!

The Engadine Valley is my No. 1 place in my favourite country Switzerland. I use(d) to travel this beautiful region in both summer and winter. Late June/early July and late Sept/early Oct are the best times for a summer visit. For a winter holiday you should go in January (though cold) or mid March - early April (yeah!).

For information about the Lower Engadine Valley see my Scuol page.

****This page is undergoing a major update****

This page is about the Upper Engadine Valley with its major place St. Moritz. You will find a lot of information about the surrounding areas, but only relatively few about St. Moritz itself. The reason is that St. Moritz is quite an overbuilt resort with the usual problems: crowded, noisy, expensive. That does not mean that you cannot spend great holidays there: the quality of service, accommodation, food ... is top. The point is, however, that the neighbouring small towns and villages are much quieter, pleasant, more beautiful - and the better is the enemy of the good :-) So, if you ever find a bargain for a four or five star hotel in St. Moritz, don't hesitate to book!

The natural beauty of the Engadine is hard to beat. The combination of large lakes, embedded in a wide open valley with huge snow capped mountains towering up is breathtaking. Lush, green side valleys, white glaciers and the blue sky offer a fascinating contrast. Nature aside, the Engadine profits from its Romansch culture/language as well as of the neighbouring Italian speaking valleys. The local architecture is different (but also beautiful) from what you might expect in Switzerland - white stone houses with sgraffito facades mostly. And don't miss side trips to the lesser known Poschiavo and Breagaglia valleys in the neighbourhood!

• Intro Updated Apr 17, 2011

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I think this is the page on Vt where I found more sport&outdoor tips. I cannot ski so I guess the best time for me to visit would be summer. Very nice and descriptive tips.

• Jun 18, 2011 at 8:27 AM

very-very picturesque views!!! using the hike-baths sounds interesting. I hope some day i'll see it by my own eyes!! :-))

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM

What a beautiful mountain-scenery and a lot of great updates ! Engadin is a really great place for a vacation, less crowded than Zermatt & Interlaken but also very scenic, my favorite area is around the Bernina !

• mecute's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Very interesting page

• MariadelPilar's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Hi! Ingo, what a great description of St. Moritz, Pics are magnificent, my favourite place!. I live now bet CH (Crans-montana) & SP , I miss Corviglia&Corvatchs skiing areas :(, ! I must go back sometime before the winter ends - its just too beautiful ;-)

• rukja's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 10:07 AM

Great views, and fabulous pics. Now I have planned Will tell Exp to Lugano then Bernina exp to St. Moritz nxt May.Do you think we plan the trip otherway round? Can u advise where to take a day night's stop at Pontresina or St. Moritz during this trip?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Fantastic mountain photos, especially on your Bernina Express travelogue and tip. That's something I really must do sometime!

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 8:41 AM

Wonderful page about a beautful region. Lake Saoseo looks wonderful! Have a happy new year and lots of travels in 2006!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 11:25 AM

Nice job!

• Larnie's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 10:38 PM

Beautiful pictures....I will have to add it to my wish list of place to go!!!

Badges & Stats in Saint Moritz

Have you been to Saint Moritz?