"St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz by german_eagle
Saint Moritz Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 399 photos
The Engadine Valley is my No. 1 place in my favourite country Switzerland. I use(d) to travel this beautiful region in both summer and winter. Late June/early July and late Sept/early Oct are the best times for a summer visit. For a winter holiday you should go in January (though cold) or mid March - early April (yeah!).
For information about the Lower Engadine Valley see my Scuol page.
****This page is undergoing a major update****
This page is about the Upper Engadine Valley with its major place St. Moritz. You will find a lot of information about the surrounding areas, but only relatively few about St. Moritz itself. The reason is that St. Moritz is quite an overbuilt resort with the usual problems: crowded, noisy, expensive. That does not mean that you cannot spend great holidays there: the quality of service, accommodation, food ... is top. The point is, however, that the neighbouring small towns and villages are much quieter, pleasant, more beautiful - and the better is the enemy of the good :-) So, if you ever find a bargain for a four or five star hotel in St. Moritz, don't hesitate to book!
The natural beauty of the Engadine is hard to beat. The combination of large lakes, embedded in a wide open valley with huge snow capped mountains towering up is breathtaking. Lush, green side valleys, white glaciers and the blue sky offer a fascinating contrast. Nature aside, the Engadine profits from its Romansch culture/language as well as of the neighbouring Italian speaking valleys. The local architecture is different (but also beautiful) from what you might expect in Switzerland - white stone houses with sgraffito facades mostly. And don't miss side trips to the lesser known Poschiavo and Breagaglia valleys in the neighbourhood!
Another very beautiful lake in the upper Engadine is located in a side valley off the village Maloja - Lake Cavloc. It's... more travel advice
This hike takes you to one of the most spectacular viewing points in the Alps - Fuorcla Surlej, which is a pass between... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Saint Moritz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley"
- "A strange town with a great surrounding"
- "A great small town"
- "The very expensive but popular ski-resort"
- "St Moritz"
- "The Swiss Bubble"
- "SAINT MORITZ - WINTER underconstruction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Moritz
- Hotels in Saint Moritz
- Transportation in Saint Moritz
- Restaurants in Saint Moritz
- Shopping in Saint Moritz
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Moritz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Moritz
- 29 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Saint Moritz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Moritz
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Where to stay in Switzerland?"
- Wrote a Review Hike Maloja - Lake Cavloc in Saint Moritz Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hike P. Nair - St. Moritz"
- updated a Saint Moritz Travel Page "St. Moritz/Upper Engadine Valley"
- Commented on one of wkdblonde's Saint Moritz travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues